With sharp focus on conservation of energy and water, recycling of waste for long-term sustainability of our environment, we all need to play our part, even in an engineering design office. Following are some recommendations to effectively contribute in our own small way in an office environment to sustain our environment:
Paper Procurement, Printing and Handling:
1. Try to procure chlorine free 100% recycled paper
2. Whenever printing is necessary for internal office use the option of printing on both sides of the paper.
3. DO NOT print E-mails unless the e-mail has to be an attachment to another printed document. Printing e-mails is wastage of paper.
4. Use photo-copier machine to produce copies of a printed document. Printing is a costlier option compared to photo-copying.
5. Use recycling bins for recycle of paper.
6. Use shredder to shred confidential documents.
Computer and Printer Usage:
1. Switch off completely (use the main power switches) before leaving your desk at the end of the day.
2. "Sleep" mode should be automatically activated when you have not used the computer for more than 10 minutes.
3. Use "Energy Star" rated printers.
Other Electrical Appliances:
1. Use energy efficient electrical appliances (heating kettles, water dispensers, vending machines etc.). Many electrical appliances are available these days with "Energy Star" rating. These appliances are basically provided the "EnergyStar"rating based on their certified power consumption by competent energy certification authorities.
2. Switch off power supply to the electrical appliances at the end of the day.
3. Do not use faulty electrical appliances. Besides being energy inefficient they are a safety hazard.
Water (Drinking and Sanitation):
1. Ensure that the drinking water dispenser tap is closed properly after use. Also ensure that there is no water leakage. Arrange to get the leakage fixed immediately fixed if you observe one.
2. Ensure that you close the taps of the basins in the wash room after use. Report leaky toilet flush immediately for repair.
3. If you are setting up a new office consider installing sensor based toilet flushes and basin taps to effectively conserve water. These are more expensive than the conventional flushes and basin taps but pay-off in the long run in terms of water saved.
Hope these tips help in the effort to conserve our environment.