Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Crane Fluid Flow Problem Examples

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Chris Haslego

Chris Haslego

Administrator

• Admin
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:30 PM

Art Montemayor has released the attached workbook. His introduction is below. This workbook should be downloaded and cherished by any young engineer:

=======================

I received my first copy of Crane's Technical Paper No. 410, titled " Flow of Fluids through Valves, fittings, and pipe", in October 1962. It was given to me free of charge by the Crane salesman that took care of
the business account at Liquid Carbonic Division of General Dynamics in Chicago, where I worked.

I had just completed my first year practicing engineering at Liquid Carbonic's affiliated companies in Jamaica,Jamaica Oxygen and Acetylene Ltd. and Jamaica Carbonics. I had spent a year in Jamaica as Production
Manager, replacing Alf Newton who had gone to Barbados and Trinidad to erect a small CO2 plant in Barbados and an industrial gas facility (Oxygen and Acetylene) at Biljah Road in Trinidad.

My original copy was the 1957 copyrighted version, sixth printing. It had a stated price of $10.00.

This was my first experience in dealing with fluid flow problems using the Darcy equation together with the corresponding Moody Chart. At Texas A&M we were taught the Fanning equation and its corresponding friction factor (the Darcy friction factor = 4 x the Fanning friction factor).
We had never been exposed to such practical and detailed fluid flow problems at Texas A&M. This booklet was not only interesting, but it also taught the young engineer how to cope with and resolve practical plant fluid problems. I went through all 27 example problems which were given in Section 4 of the booklet.

Later, during my tenure at Quaker Oats Chemical Division in Chicago (1968 - 1973), I would receive a copy of the 1965 Crane version (9th printing). The example problems were basically the same and resolved in the same manner as in the 1957 version. The 1965 version had a stated price of $2.00.

When I worked for Allstates Engineering on DuPont projects (1989 -1994) I obtained the 1979 version (18th printing) and it had a stated price of $8.00. This is the version that this Workbook's examples are based on.

I still retain the original 1957 version copy, although the original hard, orange cardboard front and back cover have cracked and disintegrated from the stainless steel spiral hinge.

I have transcribed the Example problems given in the 1979 (18th printing) Edition into this workbook and also added those problems that were given in the 1957 Edition but were not included in the 1979 Edition. Additionally, I have included in each of the 1979 Example problem solutions those solutions that were given in the 1957 Edition and that were resolved in a different manner. This enables the reader to see the difference in the technology of solving these problems and how the methods have increased the accuracy of the answer.

My reason for transcribing these Example problems into the Spreadsheet format is to achieve a rapid and efficient method by which an engineer can quickly detect the methodology and follow the mathematical computations.
Emphasis is put on the logic and reasoning employed rather than worrying about the mathematical mechanics.
The spreadsheet allows the reader to insert a variety of different input values and thereby facilitates the engineer in absorbing the manner in which the ultimate answer is affected.

-Art Montemayor
January 20, 2008

Attached Files

#2 ELEMAN

ELEMAN

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:42 AM

Hello Art:

In this new year, it is so nice to be in contact with you once again. I am not really a young engineer but, at the same time, I am not that old guy practicing engineering. Any way, your worbook has valuable information that sooner than later will be useful.

Thanks for giving your support to us in the Forums.

ELEMAN

#3 Cheryl

Cheryl

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hello Art

Thank you so much for this work book.

I am a chemical engineer doing a lot of hydraulics recently, and your materials, this one and all the previous ones, are really helpful!

If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know!

Cheryl

#4 asade abiodun

asade abiodun

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:38 AM

Mr Art,

Thank you very much. Its going to be useful for me because am a young engineer trying to get footed in hydraulics.

#5 Gary

Gary

Brand New Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the Crane examples.
Attached is a sheet with an iterative friction factor calculation.

Cheers,
Gary McKay

Attached Files

#6 Robert

Robert

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

Art,

What a tremendous endeavor! It was quite generous of you to share your efforts.

Thanks much.

Bob

#7 Randas

Randas

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:27 AM

Congratulations and thanks to Mr. Art. I have used Crane for solving fluid flow problems in my work at a petrochem plant. His work will help young engineer's to solve real life problems.

R Betrabet

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:09 AM

Thank you Art for this great work, y como he visto respuestas tuyas en espaƱol se que entiendes este mensaje, eres un excelente ingeniero y gran compaƱero pues siempre tus respuestas ayudan a los que estamos "atorados" con un problema.
Espero que sigas asi, ayudando a la gente por el simple hecho de ayudar sin esperar nada a cambio, lo unico que me resta decir es gracias de nuevo.

Best Regards from Mexico

L Ortega