• Create Account

Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

3-Stage Propane Ref Performance

Estimating Wall Thickness Of A Pressure Vessel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 whotobe

whotobe

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Evening,

How would I go about calculating / estimating the wall thickness required for a pressure vessel?

I'm designing a vacuum vessel operating at 10 to 40 Torr (2 stage). The external pressure will be ambient (atmospheric).

Is there a design standard / equation for this based on the vessel geometry? (Cylindrical with hemispherical ends)
  • Material of construction could be carbon steel / stainless steel therefore material data could be researched (max allowable stress etc)
  • Operating presssure of 10 Torr, therefore design pressure would be in the region of 6-8 Torr I'd imagine
Any ideas?

Presumably there's an API / ASME standard for this sort of thing, but my limited googling skills have once again faltered! :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

#2 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Whotobe,

Just find a copy of the following:
ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code. It has the rules for construction of pressure vessels.

#3 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

Probably you want a quick rough "estimate" (e.g. to estimate capital cost), as your post may indicate (calculating / estimating). In this case look at the previous thread http://www.cheresou...ss-calculation , mainly post No 4. Referred book of Coulson and Richardson is useful.

Edited by kkala, 06 April 2012 - 08:42 AM.