Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Estimating Wall Thickness Of A Pressure Vessel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 whotobe

whotobe

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Evening,

How would I go about calculating / estimating the wall thickness required for a pressure vessel?

I'm designing a vacuum vessel operating at 10 to 40 Torr (2 stage). The external pressure will be ambient (atmospheric).

Is there a design standard / equation for this based on the vessel geometry? (Cylindrical with hemispherical ends)
  • Material of construction could be carbon steel / stainless steel therefore material data could be researched (max allowable stress etc)
  • Operating presssure of 10 Torr, therefore design pressure would be in the region of 6-8 Torr I'd imagine
Any ideas?

Presumably there's an API / ASME standard for this sort of thing, but my limited googling skills have once again faltered! :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

#2 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Whotobe,

Just find a copy of the following:
ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code. It has the rules for construction of pressure vessels.

#3 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

Probably you want a quick rough "estimate" (e.g. to estimate capital cost), as your post may indicate (calculating / estimating). In this case look at the previous thread http://www.cheresou...ss-calculation , mainly post No 4. Referred book of Coulson and Richardson is useful.

Edited by kkala, 06 April 2012 - 08:42 AM.