Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Spray Column Design

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 James

James

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:07 AM

Dear friends:
Would you like tell me how to design a spary column and tell me useful article, book other resources about spray drying design and study. The column is used to dry liquid fatty acid from column top, outlet of column bottom is solid fatty acid bead. the cooling agent is air sent by fan from column bottom.
Thank you very much
My email: zzjprc@126.com

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:04 AM

I believe the best place to start is the NIRO website (other suppliers may be equally as good). They have good articles on many aspects of spray drying technology in their online library. Look through the various categories as, from memory, they have seperate articles on energy efficiency and other apects of the spray-dryer system. Dont forget the safety aspects.... I dont know about your particular product but dust-explosion/fire systems are a huge part of the sytyems I am aware of - unfortunately they do tend to blow up every now and then around the world and can be a bigger danger than many would realise.... as can often be the case with powders.

This will only give you the basic considerations and a good idea of current technologies but its a good start. Good luck.

Nat.

#3 Heatlink

Heatlink

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (James @ Dec 23 2005, 04:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear friends:
Would you like tell me how to design a spary column and tell me useful article, book other resources about spray drying design and study. The column is used to dry liquid fatty acid from column top, outlet of column bottom is solid fatty acid bead. the cooling agent is air sent by fan from column bottom.
Thank you very much
My email: zzjprc@126.com

The reply given to you by Bingham_nat is good advice. Niro is the foremost supplier of spray drying and spray cooling (spray chilling) equipment in the world. You asked for a reference, and the best one I know of is "Spray Drying" by Keith Masters. It's disadvantage is that it is tilted toward Niro and doesn't consider alternate soures. And it has only a few pages devoted to spray chilling, but I know of no other resource. A more practical text is "Process Drying Practice" by Cook and DuMont, but it doesn't cover spray chilling. The process is relatively simple, compared to drying, but test runs are most certainly a requirement, unless one has information from actual runs in similar sized equipment. Good luck, Ed Cook