Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Psv Discharging Temperature

psv pressure safety valve isentropic adiabatic temperature hem critical

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#26 Guest_mdepeche_*

Guest_mdepeche_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

thanks,
how does the described procedure compare with API "Sizing for two-phase flashing or non-flashing flow through a pressure relief valve using the Omega method"?
That would seem a standard included in the software ditributed by several PSV manufacturers

#27 PaoloPemi

PaoloPemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

mdepeche,
the methods are described in these papers
Darby, Self, Edwards, "Properly Size Pressure-Relief Valves for Two-Phase Flow", Chemical Engineering, 2002
Leung, "Easily Size Relief Devices and Piping for Two-Phase Flow", Chemical Engineering Progress, 1996
both (the numerical integration included in nozzle.xls and Leung Omega) are based on HEM (homogeneous Equilibrium Model) where vapor and liquid have equal velocities (no slip), Leung Omega is an attempt to define a simplified model capable to represent both equilibria and internal energy, it works fine in many cases.
The numerical integration is more reliable, it is applicable to both vapors and liquids (two-phase) but it takes a lot of time to solve all the flash operations...
You may solve the HEM model in a different way, Prode Properties has a specific function ISPF() to model nozzles (relief valves), ISPF() offers the option to choose HEM, HNE-DS and HNE-NH (?) , Prode adopts specific procedures which take less time yet giving (in the case of HEM) results more accurate than nozzle.xls.
i

#28 Guest_mdepeche_*

Guest_mdepeche_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

Paolo,
which is the field of application of the different methods ?
When should I select HEM or some slip based method ?
Can you suggest a paper discussing this topic ?

#29 PaoloPemi

PaoloPemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

mdepeche,
recently I have read "Case Studies of Sizing Pressure Relief Valves for Two-Phase Flow" authors Schmidt & Egan
but I am sure a search with google will return many documents discussing this topic ...

#30 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

You might want to consult with your relief valve supplier. If you size it yourself, you might be taking on a lot of liability for your employer. But, you also want to be sure that it is done to acceptable standards.

Bobby

#31 deltaChe

deltaChe

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:20 AM

Could anyone please kindly help to explain how to use Aspen Plus to calculate the PSV relief load fire case @ supercritcal pressure, such as relief load with time ?
And how to calucated the enthalpy, relief rate at different temperature and different time ?

Thank you very much.

#32 PaoloPemi

PaoloPemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

deltaChe,
I am afraid I am not familiar with Aspen Plus, perhaps you may find the answer in the operating manual of your software or open a specific thread,
I can only say that the simulation of a fire case should not be too difficult with a simulator,
I do that with Prode Properties (which has specific methods to model a blow down or a fire case) but these procedures are available in almost all process simulators,
of course if you have data we can compare the results (which could be of interest for the readers)

Edited by PaoloPemi, 07 October 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#33 Guest_mdepeche_*

Guest_mdepeche_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:27 AM

thanks Paolo,
I have read the papers but still have some doubts,
I'll open a specific thread to discuss this topic.