Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Isentropic Efficiency @ Flarenet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 agu1

agu1

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Hi all,

I arrived this forum by looking for information about Flarenet isentropic flash option at relief valves, and after reading some topics i have to ask something that i dont understand

Outlet valve temperature is not changing in my case by varying the isentropic flash option and its efficiency, and i think that by setting this option on, and efficiency>0, outlet temperature should be lower than considering isenthalpic expansion (this is what flarenet considers when setting isentropic flash option off, isnt it?

Do i have to choose any specific VLE of enthalpy method? I dont know where the problem is...

Thank you !!!!

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Well, first, the operation is adiabatic, not isentropic. The outlet stream will have the same enthalpy as the relief valve inlet. You are confused because the capacity of a nozzle is based on isentropic behavior to the choke point (stagnation pressure). But taken from inlet to outlet, the flow is adiabatic. Since you didn't share the stream composition, we can't help in selecting the proper EOS.

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Strain, 12 March 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#3 agu1

agu1

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

hat happen in a PRV is an isentropic flash from inlet pressure to sonic velocity and pressure at the nozzle throat, then an isenthalpic flash from there to the valve outlet, and I understand that “isentropic flash” & “isentropic efficiency” options in flarenet are for modeling this “mixture”, so this was my doubt about.

The stream is 1950kg/h of pure C3, 22,5barg&38ºC, with 0,3barg backpressure. Outlet temperature obtained is -36,17ºC, no matter if isentropic flash option is marked or not. I’m using Peng-Robinson (VLE) and Lee-Kesler (enthalpy).

I’ve tried with different vapor streams (LPG, water, ammonia), and I always get the same results. Flarenet is always considering an adiabatic flash through the valve and my question was if this could be changed in flarenet.

Cheers

#4 Gatts

Gatts

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Hey Agu,

In order to make the Isentropic Flash applicable to your simulation, do the following:

At the top of the screen, go to Calculations -> Options -> Methods

For your Overall VLE Method, Change it from Compressible Gas to something like Peng Robinson.

For your Overall Enthalpy Method, change it from Ideal Gas to something like Peng Robinson.

This should fix your problem.  Now, enable the Isentropic Flash and trying fooling around with the isentropic flash efficiencies and this should vary your outlet temperature.  You may find that these temperatures change drastically or not much at all, depending on the case.

Keep in mind that this will change the basis for your simulation.  Also, Calculations -> Options is the place in which you can set all of your "default" settings.

Cheers

#5 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Agu,

You didn't read my response very carefully. From inlet to outlet state the flow is isenthalpic. Not just from the choke point.

Bobby

#6 agu1

agu1

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

@Gatts

I have tried with every single VLE method-enthalpy method combination and outlet temperature is not varying

Could it be any kind of bug or something ?

@Bobby Strain

So, why flarenet would include an "isentropic efficiency" option?

Edited by agu1, 22 March 2013 - 03:10 AM.

#7 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

You should ask them this question. And let us know their answer.

Bobby

#8 flarenuf

flarenuf

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hello Agu

A PSV is really isentropic to the valve throat and then isentahlpic from thereon.  see
http://webwormcpt.bl...tropic-and.html

most folk model it as isenthalpic and have done for many a year, its only with the advent of computers and more than 1 decimal place that you notice the difference if you model it as 2 parts.
I have run your C3 stream in FNT and get the following
using peng R for all methods

isentropic flash = No                  T out = -37.02 C

isentropic flash = yes   with efficiency       0.00     0.25      0.5      0.75     1.00
                                                  T out = -37.02  -37.22  -37.43  -37.67  -37.87  C

so varying the efficiency does work

You will find you see more effect from actiavting teh KE option in the model as this will give you a much more accurate model

flarenuf

#9 agu1

agu1

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 02:33 AM

Hi guys,

It was a version problem, as after installing Cummulative Patch 3 for v7.3 it works well.

Thanks to all