Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Max Differential Pressure On Compressor Suction Temporary Strainer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 mm217

mm217

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

Dear all;

I want to fill the datasheet of temporary strainer of compressor suction line.

what is the common figure for this DP. which is usually used in start up.

Thanks for your guidance.

mm217

#2 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

mm217,

Temporary strainers (most often conical type) are used during start-up of the system during a commissioning or re-commissioning exercise and are meant to capture line debris, weld spatters etc. that can damage the impeller. These gross temporary strainers are subsequently removed and replaced with fine strainers where the pressure drop needs to be specified considering long-term operation, availability and protection from fine particles and dust.

For temporary strainers it is important for them to be mechanically strong and robust to withstand high differential pressures when the strainer gets completely blocked due to line debris in a very short duration. I would recommend to specify a minimum differential pressure of 1 bar (15 psi) based on my experience and understanding. Finding any specific written guidelines on what value of differential pressure should be specified may be difficult. Individual companies may assign different values of DP for such strainers. I would also ensure that the temporary strainer design pressure is equal to or greater than the suction line shut-in pressure. Niormally the suction line shut-in pressure is equal to the relief valve set-point on the compressor suction drum.

I would also recommend to take the opinion of the compressor manufacturer on the design of the temporary strainer including design pressure, temperature and maximum allowable differential pressure.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ankur.

#3 mm217

mm217

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

Ankur;

I agree with you to take opinion of the compressor manufacturer on the design of the temporary strainer. Your explanation is quite helpful. I appreciate it.

Regards;

mm217

#4 Root

Root

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hi,

we keep 0.35 barg for reciprocating compressor and for centrifugal compressor 1.0 barg.

Toor

#5 trinhduchanh

trinhduchanh

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

mm217,

With our centifugal compressor then during commissioning stage we setted high alarm at 50 Kpa  and High high shutdown at 100 Kpa.