Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hysys Upstream License + Entering Petroleum Cuts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 milenkom

milenkom

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:37 AM

Hi. I'm supposed to start working on steady state simulation of upstream Oil & Gas separation. Do I need to purchase Hysys upstream license to enter petroleum cuts into Hysys? I'm pretty sure I will need to.

Are there any better thermodynamic models for simulating Oil & Gas processes other then Peng Robinson? Or is Peng Robinson good enough. What's are the other benefits of upstream license I'm afraid AspenTech sales guy was limited on technical info.

Also what I wasn't able to figure out yet is how to estimate carbon number from boiling point range ie entering C12 - C14 or C12 - C15? This would be purely for naming convention. I would like to inform myself better, any relevant reading material is highly appreciated.

regards

Milenkom

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

You probably don't need the upstream license and oil characterization for oil & gas separation. You can input your own pseudo components and use those for the separator. Once the gas is separated, you can use a separate simulation for the gas processing operations, including stabilizing condensate. But you are limited to simulating the heaviest component of 450 F boiling point. But this should be OK for the stabilizer simulation. I presume that you already license HYSYS, so you shouldn't need to buy another simulator. There are numerous cousins of HYSYS, ChemCad, and, of course, PRO II. I notice many in the forum use PRODE, with which I have no experience.

Bobby

#3 milenkom

milenkom

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:38 AM

Cheers, Bobby.

I can't enter oil manager because my company has only got one license for Hysys, would probably need crude license to input assay data not upstream actually.  I can try pseudocomponent approach as well. Upstream license doesn't sound bad, just by looking through brochure there are usefull stuff inside built PVT property packages it also allows hydrocarbon allocation and hydrates formation I was kind a suprised seing that since it is one of the activities of our company.

#4 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Peng Robinson will work well for what you are doing. In fact Hysys will work well for everything, up to where you mentioned the hydrates. Hysys does not provide very good results for hydrates. I often find hydrates in chillers where Hysys predicts no hydrate formation. If you are concerned with hydrates, I would consider using ProMax.

#5 milenkom

milenkom

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:50 AM

Peng Robinson will work well for what you are doing. In fact Hysys will work well for everything, up to where you mentioned the hydrates. Hysys does not provide very good results for hydrates. I often find hydrates in chillers where Hysys predicts no hydrate formation. If you are concerned with hydrates, I would consider using ProMax.

Hi I'm not concerned with Hydrates i think this would be be typical steady state simulation. I've been looking over the stuff and in my opinion I can simulate Oil & Gas simulation without CRUDE or UPSTREAM license. In which case I'll enter components from petroleum assay as Hypoteticals. I will still talk to Aspen but based on their pricising for single license of Hysys only I don't think it's worth to buy CRUDE license just to enter assay through Oil manager.

Edited by milenkom, 31 May 2013 - 01:51 AM.