Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Api 2000 And Siddhartha Mukherjee Approach To Inbreathing/outbreat

api 2000 siddhartha mukherjee

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 KeJoSa2010

KeJoSa2010

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Hello,

I want to compare the tank inbreathing/outbreathing results obtained from using the methods described in API 2000 to the methods found in a paper entitled "Understanding Atmospheric Storage Tanks" by Siddhartha Mukherjee (written in 2006). The paper is very good; however, I am a bit confused. He mentions API 2000 a couple of times in his paper and then subsequently gives a number of equations (which are not API 2000 equations). My confusion is that I do not know how his equations and methods relate to API 2000 (if they even relate at all). Is he saying that the equations he presents are more accurate than the API methods? What are his underlying assumptions (i.e. how did he come up with his equations)? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Edited by KeJoSa2010, 02 July 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#2 CMA010

CMA010

Gold Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hello,

I want to compare the tank inbreathing/outbreathing results obtained from using the methods described in API 2000 to the methods found in a paper entitled "Understanding Atmospheric Storage Tanks" by Siddhartha Mukherjee (written in 2006). The paper is very good; however, I am a bit confused. He mentions API 2000 a couple of times in his paper and then subsequently gives a number of equations (which are not API 2000 equations). My confusion is that I do not know how his equations and methods relate to API 2000 (if they even relate at all). Is he saying that the equations he presents are more accurate than the API methods? What are his underlying assumptions (i.e. how did he come up with his equations)? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

His equations relate to the 5th (2000) edition of API 2000 and are basically a curve-fit. In the 6th (2009) edition a lot of changes were made and the in- and outbreathing requirements changed.

#3 KeJoSa2010

KeJoSa2010

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:05 PM

CMA010,

Thanks that helps and, makes a lot of sense! I wasn't aware of the changes that occurred since edition 5 (I don't have edition 5 available to me), and I was comparing Siddhartha's paper to the 6th edition assuming (apparently incorrectly) that not much had changed. Anyway, what are the fundamental differences in the 5th edition and 6th edition requirements? What advantage do these new requirements have over the older ones? I am sure the answer to these questions is quite involved. Is there a source that I can go to in order to read the reasons why the requirements were changed and, a list of the major changes?

Thanks again!

#4 CMA010

CMA010

Gold Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

The changes have been discussed here before, with the search option you should be able to find the topic. It has a link to a presentation from Groth with the main changes.

#5 KeJoSa2010

KeJoSa2010

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

Thanks again, 

If the following discussion is what you are talking about (http://www.cheresour...g-requirements/) then the link to the Groth presentation is now broken or has been moved (see post #7). Any idea if it is still available somewhere else?

#6 CMA010

CMA010

Gold Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

Don't know about Groth, but here is a link of a similar Protego presentation: http://www.tankstora...011_PROTEGO.pdf