Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Heat Losses From Ammonia Tank Roof

ammonia tank heat losses temperature profile

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 zasa3

zasa3

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:38 AM

Hi everybody
I want to calculate heat losses through ammonia tank roof. Our ammonia tank has a separate internal roof that is made of an insulation with holes and external roof doesn't have any insulation. Does anybody have any experience about this calculations? furthermore how can I calculate temperature profile from liquid level to external ceiling?
Thank you

Edited by zasa3, 20 August 2013 - 03:39 AM.

#2 srvna90

srvna90

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

I dont think it possible to calculate the heat ingression through the tank top roof.  You can consider it as a flat plate and calculate but I doubt how accurate it will be.

They usually calculate based on over all tank shape characteristics and what you are mentioning is a Suspended deck AAST which in overall will have only a boil off generation of about 0.04% of the total capacity of the tank,

#3 curious_cat

curious_cat

Gold Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

what you are mentioning is a Suspended deck AAST which in overall will have only a boil off generation of about 0.04% of the total capacity of the tank,

per day? 

#4 srvna90

srvna90

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

Yes. Its per day.. its supposed be between 0.02% to 0.04%. If its more than that then the Insulation of the tank is bad and needs to be replaced.

#5 Pervaiz Rizvi

Pervaiz Rizvi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:29 AM

We intend to store about 80 mt of Anhydrous ammoina in an existing tpressure vessel used for some other chemicals low design pressure 

we intend to use a refrigration system to hold tank at temp where vp of ammonia meets the design requirement of the existing vessel

Any idea of the system to use the refrigration will use ammoina

Do we put coil in the vessels ,circulate content thru a chiller ,or recylce vapour thru compressor/condenser like the Boill of gas in large refrigrated tanks what in your view would be the most appropriate method

REGDS

PEEYAR