Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Stripping Simulation With Hysys

hysys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 6zup

6zup

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Hi there,

I'm trying to simulate a simple trayed stripper column, for the removal of ethylene oxide from water (liquid binary mixture) using Hysys.  I do not have specific operation conditions, the only requirements are:

a) all the incoming/outgoing flows, as well as the column, have to operate at constant pressure (preferably 1 atm) 

b ) the vapor inlet has to be pure steam (or air)

c) the inlet of the binary mixture must be on a temperature at which is 100% liquid, 

d) the concentration of ethylene oxide in the the overhead vapor outlet needs to be greater than in the liquid inlet (since the objective is to purify it)

However I'm not sure how to proceed, the software doesn't have a stripping system in the object palette. So far I've been using an absorber but I can get it to converge. 

Please help, any advice would be really appreciated. 

Edited by 6zup, 21 November 2013 - 12:09 AM.

#2 Fletch

Fletch

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:49 AM

Hi 6zup,

the absorber unit should work for you in a stripping column arrangement.

One suggestion to help getting the absorbers to converge, is that the flowrates often need to be bumped up to get a solution to start.... consider it like there is a threshold value of the flowrates required to make the absorber work (all relative to each other)

One scenario i saw recently was an amine absorber and the person wasn't able to get the column to converge/run, i bumped the amine rate up such that it ran, it gave a result and from there we were able to get the specifications sorted.

Your stripping rate might not be high enough for the liquid rate ... or vice versa.

#3 Muhammad Rizwan Ali

Muhammad Rizwan Ali

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

I am doing Hydrodesulphurization of naphtha of final year project.There is one portion that is stripper.For stripping, H2S from naphtha ,how much amount of steam is used as stripping medium.And we don't know the amount of liquid flow rate and gaseous flow rate leaving?

#4 Muhammad Rizwan Ali

Muhammad Rizwan Ali

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

I am doing Hydrodesulphurization of naphtha of final year project.There is one portion that is stripper.For stripping, H2S from naphtha ,how much amount of steam is used as stripping medium.And we don't know the amount of liquid flow rate and gaseous flow rate leaving?