Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How To Insert Sodium Methylate Using Hypothetical In Hysys 3.2

hypothetical hysys sodium methylate biodiesel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Brunorfa

Brunorfa

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

Hi everyone..I work at a Biodiesel industry and i'm trying to simulate the process. I use HYSYS 3.2 and i'm having trouble when I try to list the components...here we use sodium methylate as catalist (CH3ONa) and  i don't find the Na group on the hypothetical groups...

I'm starting now with HYSYS so I'm not an expert...anyone can help me with this issue?

#2 Brunorfa

Brunorfa

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME

#3 Brunorfa

Brunorfa

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

up

#4 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

You don't input the catalyst. You only need its properties. You input stuff like reactants and products.

#5 Brunorfa

Brunorfa

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

Thank u thorium90. So, I don't need to create a catalyst flow?? And there are two more question...I've created the soybean oil as a triolein but HYSYS shows that at that temperature the component is vapor, but it's not true. Can I modify the critical pressure by myself? And how I use 2 fluid packges in 2 different flows? I tryed to use NRTL and Peng-Robinson to another flow but it appears a "cutter" on the flow that I tryed to change the fluid package. Can u help me?

#6 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

Perhaps you can try a different fluid package. Im not sure what fluid package would be suitable for biooils. Perhaps SRK? One can use two or more fluid packages but when you combine the streams it will automatically generate a cutter for you to choose how you want to reconcile the differences. You can choose which fluid package to use in the stream by selecting a different basis. Whenever you open any stream on the conditions tab there will be one line at the bottom saying basis-1 which you can change to basis-2 etc..

Edited by thorium90, 28 November 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#7 Brunorfa

Brunorfa

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thorium90 I'm using NRTL for the most of the components, but I need to use another fluid package to the NaOCH3 and the H3PO4.

But at this point I have 2 problems....first of all I cant insert them as hypo components..and the second is that when I use a second fluid package a cutter appears (it splits my flow into two flows...flow- and flow+) and I cant change the fluid package in the flow+. It shows me 0kg/h.

Thanks for all your answers...u are being such a great help!!

Can U help with these questions above?

#8 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

Catalysts remain unchanged at the end of the reaction. As mentioned, you only need to input reactants and products not catalysts.

As also mentioned, when you combine the streams it will automatically generate a cutter for you to choose how you want to reconcile the differences. The + and - is for it to sort of transition the fluid package. Attached explanation from manual for your convincing! If you already set the flow in -, you cant set the flow again in +. They are essentially the same stream just with a different fluid package. If that is not the reason, you can try changing the transfer basis.

Attached Files

Edited by thorium90, 28 November 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#9 Brunorfa

Brunorfa

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

Thanks thorium90, your help is being crucial for my work. 

But I need a little more help....I know that catalyst will not be used in reaction, but in some point of the process...there is a reactor vessel where we dose phosphoric acid to neutralizate all the catalyst (sodium methylate). So I'm trying to input these data too, but I can't input the catalyst or the phosphoric acid...I use HYSYS 3.2. On the Hypo components database there is not such components as: P, Na, H, O...there are just hidrocarbon groups...

If u can help me I appreciate

best regards!

#10 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

Is it necessary to simulate a neutralization process in hysys too?
Anyway you should select from the inorganic database. Im not sure if 3.2 has such a feature. I think they only got that database after the merger with aspen and became aspen hysys. Otherwise, you could use aspen plus or some other software

Edited by thorium90, 30 November 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#11 Brunorfa

Brunorfa

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

I'll install another version and try to find the components in the inorganic database that u said!!!

tks a lot thorium90.

u were very helpfull!

#12 ENGR. JAWAD AHMED

ENGR. JAWAD AHMED

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

I HAVE COMPLETED MY POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA AND NOW WANT TO DO RESEARCH OF M.E I NEED UR PRECIOUS SUGESSTION AS WELL HELP REGARDING MY RESEARCH TOPIC  I HAVE SELECTED "Process Simulation and Economic Analysis of Biodiesel Production Processes Using BIODIESEL (JETROPHA, PALM OIL, CASTOR, RAPESEED ETC....) VS BIODIESEL"  BUT IF ANY OTHER KIND OF TOPIC U HAVE THAT CAN EASILY DONE ON HYSYS SOFTWARE .... PLZ SUGGEST AND I NEED A BIODIESEL SIMULATIONS PRODUCED BY ANY VEGETABLE OIL KINDLY INBOX ME ..... I SHALL VERY THANKFUL TO YOU.

KHOSO.JAWAD@GMAIL.COM