Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Calculating Hydrogen Gas Weight% At Vent In Sulfuric Acid Tank

venting sulfuric acid hydrogen gas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 markymarks

markymarks

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

So I have a single vent on top of a 98% sulphuric acid storage tank that has Hydrogen gas coming out of it (for some reason).

I need to find the weight fraction of Hydrogen in the vapour space so I can calculate the hydrogen concentration at the vent. How do I do this?

#2 thorium90

thorium90

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

Hmm, acids reacts with metals to produce hydrogen... I think I would be more worried about hydrogen gas coming out of an acid tank.

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Is this a real life situation?  What you are naively describing is an industrial hazardous and dangerous situation.  Please communicate all the facts.  As professional engineers we can morally allow you to operate a tank under the situation you describe without advising you of the impending dangers.  Therefore, unless you are a young, inexperienced student, don't use immature, layman's language like "So I have a single vent ......"   The more accurate and specific the advice.

The continuous venting of hydrogen gas from an acid tank is NOT a normal - nor acceptable - situation.  As thorium90 states, this hydrogen may be originating from a reaction between the acid and the tank material.  Use practical horse sense:  if your tank material is reacting to produce hydrogen, then your tank's material is being consumed - while the tank contains acid!   The end result of such a scenario is that your tank will ultimately rupture from excessive depletion of the parent metal and the consequences are almost fatal to the surrounding area.

If this is a real situation, please cooperate and give all your basic data and allow us to help you out.  If this is not a real situation, please post this topic in the Student Forum as a homework problem.