Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Reliability Of Results Generated In Aspen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SSU_PE

SSU_PE

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

What will be the reliability of results generated in Aspen, If there are no Binary Interaction Parameters available?

We are dealing with a multicomponent distilation system, of which some components are not available in Aspen Database. we have uploaded the .Mol files for the same. Is it worth to rely on the results?

what will be alternate way to tackle the problem?

Your opinions are highly appreciated.

#2 PaoloPemi

PaoloPemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:56 AM

we can't provide any answer to such general question,

to simulate a convenctional column you have to solve mass and heat balance on each stage and

you need models capable to reproduce accurately VLE and enthalpy for both vapor and liquid phases,

all simulators (PRO II, Aspen, Promax, Prode,Chemcad etc.) have the same problem,

the user must define accurate models depending from specific application,

in some cases even ideal model can produce acceptable results but

it is for you to estimate the errors (for example testing VLE and H) and decide if in your case the results are acceptable (or not),

if you are a student you may ask the teacher or post the question on student's section.

#3 SSU_PE

SSU_PE

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:53 AM

Hi PaoloPemi

Thanks for reply. I am a working professional but new to simulation. our system consist of halopyridines and FeCl3, so that we are using NRTL-RK model. glad to hear from you.

#4 PaoloPemi

PaoloPemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

that's a bit better,

now if you may give an idea of the process perhaps an expert in that area can help,

one has to know how metal chlorides act in the solution,

Paolo 

#5 Ostwald

Ostwald

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

When I needed binary parameters for my heterogeneous mixture, I looked for papers with equilibrium V-L and V-L-L data, then I made regresions to fit the binary parameters with the regression tool of Aspen Plus. This step is very important to get reliable results.

#6 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Aspen Plus or ChemCad will probably be your best options for this. I would say that you need to find some or come up with some binary interactions. Otherwise, how does the simulator predict the interactions in solution? Boiling point is not enough for that.