Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Volume Required For A Nitrogen Leak Test In Pipe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 reyeaj

reyeaj

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

I am student in practice at a Colombian company.  I need to calculate a volume required to doing a leak test in a pipeline of 175 m length and 6 inches of diameter.  The leak test will be at 6,000 psig.  I would like to know the volume of nitrogen I need for the leak test.

Thank you for any cooperation.

Álvaro Reyes

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

Alvaro:

I don't know why you would leak test the pipe with high pressure nitrogen rather than using a hydotest (with water).  If you have to do it as you propose, then I would advise you to do it through a sub-contractor who is prepared to undertake such a test.  I believe you could do it using the services of a Colombian compressed gas company - such as Praxair, Air Liquide, BOC, etc.   The way that such a test would be done is using a supply of liquid nitrogen in a portable container, a high pressure cryogenic piston displacement pump, and an ambient vaporizer.  A cryogenic piston pump can easily reach the 6,000 psig test pressure.

However, such a pump isn't readily available to just anyone.  That's why you have to make arrangements with a local compressed gas company who would have access to such specialized equipment.  Testing with compressed gases is a very touchy and risky operatio.  I would not do what you propose unless it was absolutely the only acceptable manner.  That type of test requires a lot of safety training an precautions prior to attempting it.  Testing with water is a lot safer and easier - except that you have to dry the tested pipe afterwards.

#3 reyeaj

reyeaj

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

Art Montemayor

i apologize  the pressure is not 6000 Psi is 600 Psi, the Company uses nitrogen for its leak test, I need to calculate  how much nitrogen should be compressed to 600 psi in pipe.

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

You can easily determine the quantity by simply getting the nitrogen density from a readily available Mollier chart. 

Bobby

#5 reyeaj

reyeaj

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Art Montemayor

you are right, the subcontractor will do the leak test , but i need to give them the calculation of volume

#6 reyeaj

reyeaj

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

Bobby

the problem is the following, i need calculate nitrogen's volume, that i could compress in the pipe  

my solution 

i found density of Nitrogen to 600 psi and 30 °C, i know pipe's volume  and I found the mass of equation(density=mass/volume) but i do not know calculate, how much nitrogen that can i compress in the pipe 

#7 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Alvaro:

Bobby is correct. The easiest way is to obtain the density of the nitrogen at the conditions you want to test to.  You do this by going to:

http://webbook.nist....hemistry/fluid/

There, you will find the density of nitrogen at your compressed conditions.  You multiply this density by the pipe's volume.  You now have the mass of nitrogen in the pipe at test conditions.  You multiply this mass by the specific volume of nitrogen at the other (standard?) condition that you want to measure it at.

It is that easy.

#8 samayaraj

samayaraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:45 AM

Please find attached the excel sheet for nitrogen flow calculation.

Hope this helps you

Regards,

Samayaraj

Attached Files

#9 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

I believe Sam's calculations are wrong and I am attaching here a Rev1 to his workbook where my detailed calculations are shown.

Attached File  Sam Nitrogen flow calc Rev1.xlsx   13.39KB   641 downloads

#10 reyeaj

reyeaj

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

Sr.  Montemayor

thank you so much, you solved my problem. you were right, the problem was very easy

Greetings from  Colombia

#11 samayaraj

samayaraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:25 AM

Dear Mr. ART,

Thanks for your valuable comment. I made a small mistake. I've attached the corrected excel sheet and i found the quantity nearly equal as you calculated.

Regards,

Samayaraj

Attached Files