Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flash Gas Generation In Mdea Sweetening Unit

flash gas generation in mdea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 apex

apex

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

In my MDEA sweetening unit the flash gas generation is 6-7 times more than what I get from simulations of the unit (hysys & pretreat). We recently installed a new unit & in this unit this flash gas generation was high initially but subsequently it has come down drastically & is around 1.5-2 times of the simulated value. I had a talk with a consulting firm & they said that for design purpose they used to multiply the simulation value by a factor of 5. Can anyone throw some light on the solubility of light hydrocarbons in generic MDEA & amount of flash gas generation in MDEA sweetening units.

natural gas composition & FLOW:                              OUTLET GAS :  H2S< 4 PPMV

6.3 MMSCMD     TEMP- 35 C                                    CO2 -- MAXIMUM SLIPPAGE

C1--- 80 MOL%                                                  MDEA ENTERING ON 9TH TRAY HENCE 5 TRAY IN

C2------7 MOL%                                                   OPERATION.

C3---- 4.3 MOL%                                                 CONTACTOR----- VALVE TRAY COL (14 TRAY)

IC4---- 0.8 MOL%                                                 REGERATOR -----VALVE TRAY COL (21 TRAY)

NC4---- 0.8 MOL%VALVE

IC5----  0.4 MOL%                                              CONTACTOR PRESSURE- 60 KG/CM2G 

NC5---- 0.3 MOL%                                              REGERATOR PRESSURE-1.1 KG/CM2    TEMP TOP - 105 C

C6+ ---- 0.2 MOL%                                                                                                                   TEMP BOT - 129 C

CO2 --- 6.2 MOL%

H2S ---- 200 PPM                                              FLASH DRUM PRESSURE - 8 KG/CM2 G

#2 gegio1960

gegio1960

Gold Member

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

where is your flash? (it should be upstream of the absorber)

real flowrate is either 6-7 or 1.5-2 times more than the simulated figures?

which is the destination of the flashed gas?

which is the destination of the sour (stripped) gas?

#3 apex

apex

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Flash is downstream of absorber & flashed gas is used as fuel gas . the sweetened gas is sent to dehydration unit for water removal.

#4 apex

apex

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

we have 9 units .out of which 7 are in operation. in 6 units the flash gas generation is very high while in the recently installed unit the flash gas generation is near to the simulation value.

#5 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

can you post the output reports for Hysys, ProTreat and the operating data?

Do Hysys and ProTreat agree with one another? Or do they have different predictions?

I think there may be a good explanation, but I will need to have a closer look.