Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Presence Of Microorganisms In Fuel Tanks Resulting To Sludge Formation

bacteria mic sludge

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 jap2

jap2

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

Hi,

I am a Process Engineer and with less than 2 years experience. A special study was assigned to me about Microbiologically Induced Corrosion (MIC) and the sludge formation in fuel tanks. The objective of the assignment is to come up with a solution on how to stop or lessen the microbial growth to prevent the corrosion and sludge formation. It was normally observed to have accumulation of sludge at the bottom of fuel tanks.

I have read that microorganisms can attached to surfaces and form layers which are called biofilms and once these biofilms are formed, a microenvironment formed. This microenvironment is considered different from the bulk surrounding in terms of pH, dissolved oxygen and organic and inorganic compounds. This condition promotes higher corrosion rate. 

I have also read that biofilms are resistant to biocides, thus it would not be the best solution in mitigating microorganism growth. With this, I would like to inquire if you also observed this type of corrosion and sludge formation in your fuel tanks and how you address this type of issue.

Thank you very much.