Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Sieve Tray Efficiencies In Physical Solvent/light Hydrocarbon Gas Abso

sieve tray sieve tray efficiency efficiencies tray efficiency sieve tray efficiency absorber column tower

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 hudsonhawke

hudsonhawke

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

Hello I have a quick question about sieve tray efficiencies in absorber columns. I am working on a design project as part of my engineering degree and need to specifiy a sieve tray efficiency for our absorber column.

The absorber has a light hydrocarbon gas stream coming into the column under the bottom tray, and contains various mercaptans and disulphides to be removed via a physical solvent, specifically purisol (NMP or N-methyl-2Pyrrolidone). We have decided on 24" tray spacing, 2" weir height, 9.5mm hole sizing with approximately 6% open hole fractional area in the active (bubbling) area of the sieve tray.

Flows are approximately 125 000 kg/h of Liquid and 48 000 kg/h of vapor per tray. The pressure of the system is approximately 6000 kPa and the temperature is between 20-30 °C depending on the stage.

What I am curious about are typical sieve tray efficiencies for a process similar to this, along with links to literature backing up this value.

Any help on this matter is very appreciated, thanks.

#2 a.aryan

a.aryan

Brand New Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:24 AM

The modeling and prediction of tray efficiency is a complex subject worthy of a PhD in itself.

In the first instance I would recommend you use the O'Connell correlation for plate absorbers. Reference given below:

H E O’Connell

Plate Efficiency of Fractionation Columns and Absorbers

Trans AIChE, Vol 46, p-741-755, 1946

#3 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

This may be helpful:

http://www.bre.com/p...val REVISED.pdf