Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Purging Of Gas Pipeline

purging of gas pipeline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ochuko

ochuko

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Dear All,

I am about to commence the purging of a newly constructed gas pipeline of 6'' x 31km,how do I go about the procedure to do that and what are the basic requirements and equipment/instruments to carry out the operation effectively. 

thanks

ochuko

#2 TS1979

TS1979

Gold Member

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Ochuko,

Here is my thought:

1. you should prepare enough purge gas.

2, you start filling the line from original point to the end point to a certain pressure. This pressure must be much much lower that the pipeline design pressure.

3, Release the gas from the end point.

4, You need at minimum 5 volume replacement for your purge

5, you may need to take gas sample to see if your purge meets your specification.

Hope this help

#3 Mabhiza

Mabhiza

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:18 AM

Ochuko,

You need to calculate the volume of the pipe line. In your case the volume I got was 547.8 cubic meters. then calculate the flowrate of your purge gas of which I believe it is Nitrogen. By doing this you can be able to determine how long it will take for your line to be purged.

You also need to have vents along  the distribution line. These vents must be opened so that all the undesired components will escape and to prevent any pressure build ups along the line.

If you don't have vents along the line of which I doubt that will be the case, you need to install them in the near future. Gas lines must have vents.

#4 Mabhiza

Mabhiza

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:23 AM

Ochuko,

You also need a gas monitor to detect the levels of the contaminants. You need to purge the line until you get what you want according to your specs. For example, if you distributing a highly explosive gas your oxygen concentration must be at a certain level say below 1%.