Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Basic Engg, Detail Engg Or Process Engg

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 CHem Enthusiast

CHem Enthusiast

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I have total 3 years of exp.,1 year in pharma company as production engner, and for the last 2 years I have been working on Dynamic simulation (OTS) for Oil & Gas industries. I want to change my profile from dynamic simulation to design.Recently I got a job in another company as process design engr. As this new company manufacture refrigerants (Flourine chemicals).

I'm also going to attend one more interview in an EPC company.The job profile is not known yet.But what I heard from other people working in here is that if I get selected here I may be put in either Basic engg (most probably)  or Detail engg.

Can anyone please suggest me which one is more demanding(or challenging) and have bright future.

#2 Steady

Steady

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

Hi Chem Enthusiast,

Your total 3 years of experience includes 1 year in pharma and 2 years in OTS.

Lets not consider 1 year of pharama exp here mainly due to following -

1. First job, generally a lot to take in during trainings and all.

2. you must have gained some useful experience on few unit operations (mostly batch) and possibly stream system or water treatment system.

OTS is a useful experience where you learn the whole process, esd logic, interlocks, DCS interface, control logis etc.  however you miss on enormous amount of important process design stuff that you would, otherwise, learn during FEED, Detail Engg or Commissioning. OTS does not give you the opportunity to work on -

1. actual design issues may be various process design cases, equipment sizing

2. preparing equipment / instrument specifications for process equipment

3. understanding the sizing basis and performing calculations.

4. other brownfield issues related to flare system, materials, blowdown calc etc.

5. preparing process drawings such as pfds and p&ids

and many more

In my opinion, operations (working on site) is the best place to learn stuff. However not everyone can work on site / operatrions. 

If you are keen on oil&gas industry, then EPC seems to be right choice where you are likely to gain various types of experience during next few years. Few FEED/detail design projects under your belt will help you learn a lot of stuff. It depends wjhat kind of projects this EPC executes. Are they more upstream or downstream projects?  Onshore or Offshore?  LNG, CNG, GTL projects? Are these more brownfield modifications or Greenfield projects?

I believe you learn better and quicker in a medium/small ish company or office than a very large group.  

Good luck to you whatever you chose.

VK

Edited by Steady, 17 March 2014 - 10:36 AM.

#3 Fr3dd

Fr3dd

Gold Member

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:52 AM

3 different jobs (potentially 4) in 3 years seems like an unstable employee that some employers would be reluctant to hire. Be careful with that...

Fr3dd

#4 aroon

aroon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

EPC should be right choice if offered. All the best.