Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Tray Column Residence Time Problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Hoeyneroo

Hoeyneroo

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:46 AM

Hello, everyone.

How I can calculate the "Column Residence Time" for a tray column.

I know the tray residence time, but can't find the "Total residence time of column" 

I appreciate your reply.

#2 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:34 AM

Average residence time in the column will be different for the various molecules in the column feed.

What would be the point trying to calculate that?

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

I don't think you care about any residence time other than in the sump for control.

Bobby

#4 Hoeyneroo

Hoeyneroo

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

Thank you for your answers.

I want to know how to calculate an average residence time of homogeneous catalyst in a ethylene recovery column.

A dynamic simulation is the only method to calculate the residence time?? Or other equations or methods are presented??

#5 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

Average residence time is found with steady state calculations. You will probably have to use basic math and geometry skills to add up the individual tray residence times with the calculated residence time in the sumps. You will need to rate the column using the actual dimensions of the internals including weir heights and downcomer configurations. This is easiest to do with column rating software (e.g. Pro/II, AspenPlus, KGTower, FRI). Recently while trying to account for the origin of product contaminants, I calculated a downcomer residence time of several minutes per tray for an operating column which has extremely low liquid flow. If you are considering new internals, either Koch-Glitsch or Sulzer will likely be willing to model the column hydraulics using their proprietary methods if asked. They can rate your existing equipment and compare it with their proposed modifications.

A more accurate and costly alternative method is to hire a company such as TracerCo to measure residence time using radioactive markers.