Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Colour Change Of Some Hydrocarbons.

refinery product quality.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 chinna praveen kumar

chinna praveen kumar

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:32 AM

Why The Paraffinic Materials (Like Industrial Diesel,kerosene, Mineral Turpenting Oil & Aviation Fuel.)Are Colour Change At Sun Light,what The Reason?

#2 chinna praveen kumar

chinna praveen kumar

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:40 AM

please give me answer to my question ?

hey guys its a my observation (exactly i dont know time  to colour change but iam sure  to say that the sample is colour changed with UV rays.)

#3 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:34 AM

One of the reasons for color change of distilled petroleum products on exposure to light is the presence of basic nitrogen.

#4 che0614

che0614

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:30 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have a small coconut oil extraction unit. Extracted oil is of slight yellow colour and a bad odour. I want some input on how to improve colour and odour of extracted oil.

Regards

#5 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:30 AM

Please give more details. Are you extracting with a solvent? Or  by applying hydraulic pressure? IF you are extracting with some solvent, the odor may be due to residual solvent present in the oil.  Color may also be due to residual solvent if the solvent is colored or due to the presence of inherent colored materiaUse a volatile sovent like Food Grade Hexane having Saybolt color of +30.ls.  If you are expelling the oil from coconuts by applying pressure, the color mostly is due to inherent (presene of colored material). Activated charcoal is useful for removing colors and odors.

#6 che0614

che0614

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:08 AM

Dear Sir,

Thank You for replying, yes i'm extracting oil by applying pressure. Raw material supplier is spraying sulphur on coconut for preservation which i think is imparting yellow colour to the oil. Can this be removed by activated charcoal?

#7 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:09 PM

If elemental sulfur is used for prservation and contaminating the coconut oil, you can check by  UOP 286 Mercury Number Test. You can adapt this for coconut oil also although it is meant for liquid hydrocarbons. If you find that the ol is viscous, dilute it with n-decane (sulfur free). If any black film forms on mercury, it is due to free sulfur  You may try using oleic acid also

If the color is due to free sulfur, to my knowledge, only stopping the use of free sulfur would be a remedy . . Write to me if you need any further help.