Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Alcohol Concentration Using Coriolis Meter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 DAIALOS

DAIALOS

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

HI Everyone

Working in a ethanol distillation plant is obviously important to continuously monitor the concentration of the product distilled. In our case we distill at a constant 190 Degrees Proof (95% v/v). The current method to monitor this concentration in my facility is by the use of the hydrometer.

The uses of coriolis meters that can measure density, mass flow, and temperature are common now in this type of industry to use them to directly correlate these parameters to give final volume concentration with great precision.  

My knowledge in instrumentation its limited, that’s why I come to you guys for some recommendation.

Have anyone have any experience working with this kind of system before? I know you can program the meter transmitter with the Density – Temperature to concentration tables so be able to monitor directly the concentration of the fluid. The problem is that I have only found this table to fix the density up to 100F but for my application temperature of up to 220F will be needed and I have not foun data to compensate density using temperature for these high temperatures.

What would be a method to be able to directly read ethanol concentration?

Thanks in advance

Gustavo

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

I would check with the instrument supplier.

Bobby

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,332 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

Hi ,

Let you consult this supplier :http://www.anton-paa.../density-meter/

Hope this helps you out.

Breizh

#4 katmar

katmar

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 667 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:53 AM

I have done this successfully before.  If the coriolis meter supplier cannot provide the programming contact me via my signature below.