Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Produced Water Treatment

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 DANA-IF

DANA-IF

Gold Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

Hi :)

I'd like to know if I can do a simulation of a water produced with hysys . The equipments used are : degassing drum in order to remove gas from the produced water , a skimmer tank in order to remove oil droplets and filters 

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

You might be able to establish a material balance for the degassing drum. But HYSYS won't help for the other operations.

Bobby

#3 IUR

IUR

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

For degassing you can use HYSYS but for produced water treatment hysys is not practicable.

IR

#4 DANA-IF

DANA-IF

Gold Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

For degassing you can use HYSYS but for produced water treatment hysys is not practicable.

Hi :) Can I know what's the software used for produced water treatment ?

#5 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:55 AM

It depends on the type of treatment you are doing. Removing H2S, CO2, NH3, phenol, BTEX, etc... will require ProMax. It can probably also do a certain degree of salt removal.

If you're using the water in a cooling tower, French Creek will probably be best.

#6 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

The problem with produced water treatment using any simulator is:

• Gas solubilities are altered by the presence of salts in the water.  The salinity and pH of the water affects the solubility of all gases and particularly acid gases like CO2 and H2S.   An electrolyte simulator is advised for this, unless you have actual data against which to adjust solubility parameters.
  • The separation of oil from water in a de-oiling train is a physical, not thermodynamic, separation.  None of the simulators do this.  Whether it is a skim tank, flotation cell, or filter you cannot "simulate" this in HYSYS, ProMax or any other thermodynamic simulator.

#7 Dacs

Dacs

Gold Member

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

Oil-water separators area something that need some liquid-liquid separation loving. I don't think Hysys will be fit for the job.

#8 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

I respectfully disagree with Technical Bard. The whole purpose of ProMax being created was to model the electrolytes. Over the years, it has developed into a great oil/water simulator. I don't quite know the history of why it moved in that direction, but after years of using ProMax for both electrolytes and water removal, I can say it definitely out performs Hysys for those processes.

I may be misunderstanding your comment, but the original poster still has not clarified his request. Until he does so, I don't think there is much we can do to help.

#9 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

RockDock - I don't disagree with modeling the thermodynamic separation of oil and water.  But when it comes to modeling the droplet sizes and stokes law disengagement ProMax doesn't do that either...

#10 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:51 AM

I see. That clarifies it for me. Physical entrainment is not normally modeled. You are correct.

#11 Pragathees

Pragathees

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:05 AM

dear all,

could you give spread sheet for produced water treatment design

Thanks,

Pragathees