Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Neutralizing And Filming Amine Injection On Cdu Overhead System

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

I have a few questions on Neutralizing and Filming amine for CDU overhead system:

1. Any well known and widely used Neutralizing / Filming amine from companies like NALCO / Baker Hughes specifically tailored for CDU overhead systems. I would like to know the trade names.

2. In one of the drawings for CDU I saw a monel tubing hooked up to the injection point for the neutralizing amine. I understand that Monel 400 gives excellent corrosion resistance but it is also very expensive. Can I have information about less expensive corrosion resistant alloys for the neutralizing amine and filming amine injection systems. Is it possible to use SS 304/316 for the injection system for these two?

3. What are the salient features including the materail of construction of the injection quill or injection nozzle assembly for neutralizing and filming amines? Can somebody direct me to a typical GA drawing for such an injection nozzle assembly.

Looking forward to receive some detailed answers.

Regards,

Ankur

Edited by ankur2061, 09 May 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:41 AM

Is this a grassroot or a revamp project?

I am asking because the answer will be different depending on the case. For a new unit, I would tend to avoid any chemical injection and look for a more efficient solution.

#3 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:46 AM

Zauberberg,

It is a new project. Neutralizing and Filming amine injection provision has to be made, which includes engineering, procurement and construction of these systems. Whether injection is implemented or it just remains there without implementation is a moot point at this moment.

Regards,

Ankur

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

Understood. The key point in combating against CDU overhead corrosion is to ensure the following:

- Removal of inorganic salts below 5ppm in the equipment upstream (desalter). Organic Chlorides must be removed anyway to avoid poisoning of catalyst in downstream units (NHT, CCR).

- Maintaining top pumparound return temperature above the condensation temperature of water vapors flowing up the tower, which once condensed, act like a spider web for absorption of HCl vapors, creating extremely corrosive environment. The areas most affected by corrosion are top pumparound trays (which is why they are usually made of Monel 400), overhead condensers, and top pumparound exchangers.

The key mechanism in overhead corrosion lies in the fact that the first condensed water droplet (inlet section of the exchanger/fin-fan) will contain almost concentrated HCl, with HCl being extremely hydroscopic substance. The solution that worked in many places (and elaborated by several esteemed authors such as Norm Lieberman) is to employ waterwash of the overhead condenser, by recycling some of the water from the overhead receiver back to the exchanger inlet, in quantities sufficient to ensure presence of liquid water at the exchanger inlet - for the purpose to dillute HCl and to dissolve sublimed NH4Cl salt deposits which are the main cause of so called under-deposit corrosion. I would employ this concept if I am ever to design a CDU tower, together with the two bullet points from above. Rather prevent than cure.

To answer your questions:

1. I have never seen a chemical injection scheme that worked properly. Vendor will tell their stories of course, but if the above two conditions are not met the injection will help so little, if any. We used to work with Nalco, Chimec, Petrolite, but without major success. You may try any of them, but I would make sure that laboratory tests are conducted with the crude oil (or crude blends) which are going to be processed in my unit.

2. I have seen SS316L trays used in the top pumparound loop. The material selection will largely depend on how much Chloride salts escapes into the tower. There is a limit for usage of austenitic SS depending on Chloride concentration. You want to be in a safe region.

3. If you still want to go for injection, a common sparger designed for proper atomization of liquid chemical should be more than sufficient. Unfortunately I do not have any typical drawings of such assembly. Usually the chemical vendor specifies the level of atomization and "ideal" injection configuration.