Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Separaion Of Normal Olefins

olefin separation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 suyogchemical2002

suyogchemical2002

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:34 AM

Frieds,

We want to separate normal olefins from light & heavy coker naphtha stream. Feed stream do have 2.5 wt% sulfur, around 1500 ppm nitrogen as main impurities. It contains some paraffins, slight naphthenes & aromatics along with ~ 15 vol% normal olefins. Generally Olex unit is used at the downstream of PACOL process for separation of linear paraffins & linear olefins.

So my question is do i think of separation of normal olefins from these streams using UOP Olex Process?

Also will anybody give information about

1. What is total feed sulfur limit to Olex unit?
2. What are temp. & press. criteria of this unit?
3. Do we get only linear olefins from this unit or all kinds of olefins?

Thanks,

Suyog

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

Why not ask UOP?

Bobby

#3 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:30 AM

Yes. UOP is best to answer your question. However I believe that Indian Oil Corporation Ltd, R&D Centre had developed Urea Adduction process to separate linear olefins and linear paraffins from Coker kerosene. You may write to them. Sulfur and nitrogen will not matter, which also I believe.

P.K.Rao

#4 suyogchemical2002

suyogchemical2002

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:40 AM

Thanks Mr. Rao for your reply.

Urea adduction method is good for C10 + carbon range molecules. Even C9 molecules adduction is very low with urea. 

I am interested in recovering normal olefins from naphtha range (C6 to C9) stream.

Sorbent technology is generally used to separate normal paraffin & normal olefin. But in coker naphtha there are all kinds of materials other than these two. Also high level of sulfur content. I wanted to know that if sorbex process can separate normal olefins from these mixture and not only from paraffin -olefin mixture. 

But i believe separating media in sorbex involves zeolites to separate the molecules. So i think zeolite as a structure doesnot get collapsed or damaged because of sulfur content. But i was informed that this separating media will get damage in presence of sulfur & nitrogen so it canot be used in this specific service, which i strongly contest for the above reason.

I am parallely contacting UOP but can anybody share experience/thougt on this?

Thanks.