Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Estimation Of Methanol/water Mixture Viscosity

liquid viscosity blend viscosity methanol/water viscosity refutas equation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Sherif Morsi

Sherif Morsi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

Hi,

I am trying to estimate the Methanol/Water liquid mixture viscosity for Methanol Injection Package. The mixture is 90%vol Methanol and 10%vol water.

I found Refutas Equation for estimation mixture viscosity, the steps are as follows:

(1)   a8fe9a178ba882b974e56b451a9489d8.png

where ν is the kinematic viscosity in centistokes (cSt). It is important that the kinematic viscosity of each component of the blend be obtained at the same temperature.

(2)   f2341c0b711b457af73512c1d85374d5.png

where xX is the mass fraction of each component of the blend.

(3)   1423ace6c8c4d5e7321cd1cb99f88c11.png

where VBNBlend is the viscosity blending number of the blend.

My questions are: What are the limitations to this equation (temperature, pressure....etc)? Is there any other method that would calculate a round figure?

Thanks,

Sherif

#2 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

The viscosity of that methanol/water mixture will be so low that it really does not matter for the design or selection of the injection package. You could just use 1 centiPoise (= 1 mPa.s).

If you want it more accurate then you need to use literature data, such as Table 3 and Figure 9 in following:

http://repository.ku...cjpnv49p059.pdf

Refutas is meant for mixtures of hydrocarbons, specifically fuel oil blending of residue with kerosene or gasoil.

It is not suitable for polar fluids, as these have a tendency to exhibit minima or maxima in a graph of viscosity versus concentration.

Edited by PingPong, 23 May 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#3 Sherif Morsi

Sherif Morsi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for replying, however the said table and figure are limited to 10 C while I am looking for -10 C. Any idea how to reach this? 

#4 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

You have 2 options:

1) google until you find the data you need

2) look at Figure 9 and estimate for x = 0.8 what the mixture viscosity would be at -10 oC. I guess something between 1.5 and 2 mPa.s so if you take 2 mPa.s it will be safe enough. It really makes no difference for the injection package whether it is 1.0 or 1.5 or 2.0 mPa.s