Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Drain Point At Inlet Of Psv

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:07 AM

I have simple question regarding to the drain point at inlet of PSV. Can i use that point connect with the piping with removable spool (RS) for the flushing purpose? This flushing is to clean-up the reactor during plant shutdown. The flushing gas will be discharge to flare header. I just afraid in term of integrity for the safety item. However, that safety valve is not be used during shutdown. The set pressure is 30 barg. The operating pressure during flushing is 10barg only. pls refer sketch for clear picture of the process. thanks

Attached Files

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:08 AM   Best Answer

farid.k,

Normally, the PSV by-pass line is utilized for such operation. Appears there isn't any PSV by-pass line in the configuration, if so it seems with the conditions you described there would be no problem using drain point for the flushing operation. Just take care any entrained particle (of reactor catalyst) wouldn't be collected at PSV inlet during flushing. If PSV inlet contamination by such particles is possible, it's better to do the flushing after PSV removal and blinding its inlet.

#3 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:05 AM

farid.k,

Normally, the PSV by-pass line is utilized for such operation. Appears there isn't any PSV by-pass line in the configuration, if so it seems with the conditions you described there would be no problem using drain point for the flushing operation. Just take care any entrained particle (of reactor catalyst) wouldn't be collected at PSV inlet during flushing. If PSV inlet contamination by such particles is possible, it's better to do the flushing after PSV removal and blinding its inlet.

Fallah,

Thanks for the sharing. I've seen so many bypass at relief valve at site but never know the use of it. Now I learn something new. Thanks again.