Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flare System Simulation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 DANA-IF

DANA-IF

Gold Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:51 AM

Hi 

can anyone  please guide me on some points :

1)  what's the difference betwwen mass flow and rated mass flow for Pressure Safety Valve 

and what they mean when they said :PSV Tailpipes are designed for rated flow , should I input only rated flow in flare net ?

2) I have to check a flare system already simulated : as in the flare report  , the system  contains many scenarios , but I remark that there are 2 scenarios with the same name of the PSV VALVE but with different inlet , outlet temperature , mass floiw , rated mass flow , vapor fraction , composition basis , my question : how to deal with that  in aspen flarenet ?

Edited by NADIA BH, 23 June 2014 - 02:53 AM.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:13 AM

NADIA BH,

Appears, at first you should read the relevant references such as API 520/521,..., carefully. Anyway:

1) Required mass flow of a PSV is the calculated value based on API 520 Part I and is used as preliminary, while rated mass flow is determined as per pressure-design code or regulation, such as ASME Sec. VIII, and submitted by vendor. You should input rated value for PSV tail pipe and required value for headers and sub headers in the simulation file...

2) You should select the governing scenario of a PSV and input its relevant data in the simulation file...