Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Reciprocating Relief Valve Scnerio

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Engineer87

Engineer87

Gold Member

• Store Customers
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

Hi,

I have a relief valve installed at the suction side of reciprocating compressor.I'm just wondering if relief valves are sized in this case are for blocked flow/accumulation taking 10% overpressure margin above the set pressure?.

Attached Files

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

Hi,

The over pressure for the scenarios other than fire case is to be 10% above the PSV set pressure. Your query isn't so clear...Please clarify a bit more...

Edited by fallah, 25 June 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

Engineer87:

You fail to state what the set pressure is for the subject PSV or the design pressure of the suction drum on the compressor.  Those are critical values.

I suspect that you have a very positive design suction pressure on your reciprocating compressor – above 15 psig.  If that is correct, then you must have a PSV on the suction drum since it obviously is considered a pressure vessel and the ASME code mandates it.

Blocked flow for a reciprocating compressor means the compressor is shut down.  The source of your suction gas should be regulated or controlled and you don’t identify it.  It is not normal to have a suction PSV on a compressor unless you have a pressure vessel in front of it – as explained above.  Please give us all your basic data – like fluid, flow rates, pressures, MAWP, temperatures, etc.  Then we have a more accurate and clearer picture of what you have.