Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Main Flare Header, Pilot And Purge Flow Meters For A Burn Pit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Vegeta

Vegeta

Gold Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Hi all,

I am a new chemical engineering graduate and in my job  I was assigned for an assignment in a project to install flow meters in main flare header, pilot and purge lines going to a burn pit. Can you advice on what information I will need and what type of flow meter shall be installed?

Thank you for your time....

Regards,

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

Search for suppliers of such equipment. John Zink Company for example.

Bobby

#3 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

Vegeta,

The most important info you should know to specify the flowmeter in flare system are average passing flare/purge gas properties and estimated min/max mass flowrate. The flowmeter type normally applied in flare system is ultrasonic one by using which there would be no obstruction or blockage in the line included such flowmeter...

#4 Vegeta

Vegeta

Gold Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Guys,

Fallah, 

Is ultrasonic flow meter usually employed in purge and pilot lines or it is for the main header?

Again thanks,  

#5 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:03 PM

Vegeta

Basically,

The type of flow instruments normally will be selected examining conditions such as :

1 -Required range for measurement

2 -Process and fluid properties of the stream (either liquid, gas or steam. For properties, do highlight on the viscosity of the fluid since some instrument not suitable for high viscous liquid)

3 -Purpose of measurement and required accuracy (i.e., for high accuracy or for billing purpose, coriolis will be used, but for your case, i do agreed with fallah to use ultrasonic. ultrasonic will not alter the flow inside the pipe, and they will outside of the pipe . Just that the price is moderately expensive)

It is also good to consult direct to the vendor as per Bobby Strain say since they can suggest directly to you.

regards

#6 Neelakantan

Neelakantan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

@Vegeta

As usual (if you ever happen to read my posts!) my answer is more of questions!

1) exactly what you mean by Installing (in engineering context, it simply means physically installing?)

2) is it a trainee assignment or a real live project?

3) if live project, are not P&IDs made? then what are the notes and comments of the process engineering team who made the p&Ids?

4) or do your seniors want you to study the possibility of "installing" flow meters on an existing (brown field) plant to monitor the amount of gas and fuel flared/spent?

5) whenever a query is posted, a sketch and precise engineering  data will be useful to answer more meaningfully and to the point;

best wishes on your assignment

neelakantan

#7 Vegeta

Vegeta

Gold Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

Neelakantan
1) We will provide the design to the client and later they will install the flow meters in accordance to our design.
2) Real Project.
3) as you said in 4.
I have just got some few information from the client (composition of flared fluid and average flared fluid flow).

Looking forward to your comments.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Vegeta

#8 Neelakantan

Neelakantan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

without additional project information (such as line size, pressures, material, flow rate-min-norm-max, etc) it is difficult to recommend meaningfully

1) as your answer implies that you are in an engineering/construction company and the end customer is an operating unit, my first suggestion is to know what the end-customer really wants? secondly know their budget! and thirdly look if they want a permanent solution or temporary measurement for some study/audit

2) normally i dont go for measurement on purge or pilot gas flows; typically an RO is what i will go for which will have a "fixed" flow rate;

( the forum members and i would be very happy to see more of the data the pilot and purge line. PRVs, line sizes, etc with a sketch)

3) for the main flare, i could suggest ultrasonic (check at www.fluenta.com) as i have used one which gave good results..

regards

neelakantan

#9 Vegeta

Vegeta

Gold Member

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:01 AM

Neelakantan,

I will upload more information as I receive it. Excuse me if my question seems to be stupid but isn't it unsafe to install restriction type flow meters in such systems and it will be very likely to get chocked flow?

Regards,
Vegeta

#10 Neelakantan

Neelakantan

Gold Member

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

@vegeta

purge and pilot requirements are almost stable and fixed and so we use RO (you are right about choked flow)

regards

neelakantan