Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Cooling Tower Design

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 PrashanthPetro

PrashanthPetro

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:05 AM

I need to design a cooling tower for certain TR, is there any step by step procedure for cooling tower thermal design

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:30 AM

Hi,

By Googling you would have many references for such requirement...

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:35 AM

Hi ,

Plenty of information are available using the search engine in this forum .

Perry's chemical engineering handbook is also a good resource !

good luck!

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 06 July 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#4 PrashanthPetro

PrashanthPetro

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:24 AM

Thank you sir. May I know whether any specific software is there for design of cooling tower. For instance: Thermal design of Heat exchangers - HTRI. Likewise cooling tower design has any software?

#5 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

I don't think anybody designs a cooling tower himself, at least, I have never heard of it.

You specify what the cooling tower has to do and send that to a cooling tower vendor, who will then tell you what cooling tower type and size you need, what the plot space and height are, and what the cost is.

#6 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

In the real world cooling towers are only designed by a few engineers working at cooling tower vendors, using their company software.

I did not realise until now that this topic is posted under Student.

In addition to the suggestions of others, you should also look in

Volume 1 of Coulson & Richardson's Chemical Engineering

Volume 2 of Ludwig's Applied Process Design for Chemical and Petrochemical Plants

Edited by PingPong, 05 July 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#7 katmar

katmar

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 668 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

I agree with PingPong that it is usually only the engineers employed by cooling tower suppliers who do these calculations. It has only happened to me once where I needed to do such calculations myself, and that was where I needed to predict how a tower would function in summer from performance data taken during winter. There used to be a free DOS utility for cooling tower calcs available on this site, but it seems to have been taken down. DOS programs don't work under WIndows 7 and 8 anyway - I used it about 12 years ago.  There is a commercial equivalent for Windows available at http://www.engineeri...pr/sku27537.htm

Designing cooling towers from scratch makes no sense because you will not know the heat transfer factors of the packings - these are proprietary items.  In my case I was able to work from the winter perfomance data back to get the heat transfer factors and then use them to predict the summer performance. But I accept that was a very rare situation.