Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Alternative Method For Insulated Tank In Api 2000

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Nagarajan K

Nagarajan K

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:05 AM

Dear All,

i am preparing a calculation Report for PVRV sizing.

In that report,i need to submit PVRV Sizing for insulated Tank and Uninsulted Tank based on Recent API 6th edition Latitude method as well as alternative method Annexure-A,

I was able to prepare report for Uninsulated Tank by both method,but was stuck in insulted tank.

i dint find alternative method for insulated tank as it says Annexure-A tables involve only uninsulated tank.

Which source in API 2000 shall be used in alternative method to calculate flows for insulted tank or is no alternative method is applicable .

Regards,

Nagarajan K

#2 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:45 AM

Nagarajan,

There is no clarity whether Annex-A Table A.3  for Thermal inbereating  takes into account insulation of tanks. However if your read Page 42 of Annex-A (2nd paragraph), it is clear that the heat transfer coefficient plays an important role in the thermal effects on tanks and hence the thermal inbreathing / outbreathing calculations.

It is obvious that the surface heat transfer coefficient for an insulated tank will be much lowert than for a non-insulated tank.

My suggestion would be use to use the equations given in the main body of the standard on page 9, Section 4.3.2.3 for performing your calculations related to thermal effects for insulated tanks.

Regards,

Ankur.

#3 syed_chemical

syed_chemical

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

Dear Nagarajan

Refer API 2000, Seventh Edition, March 2014

Sec 3.3.2.4 for Reduction Factor for Tank with insulation.

Regards

Syed