Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Fire Case Psv Sizing For Exchanger

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 krishnamurthy

krishnamurthy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:17 AM

I want to do PSV sizing for fire case PSV for shell and tube heat exchanger. For this i need to calculate the Exposed surface area of the vessel . For vessels we calculate the exposed surface surface area by using Internal diameter and LAHH (level high hight) values. For shell and tube exchanger i wants to know how to calculate the exposed surface area of the exchanger. Kindly explain me.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:56 AM

Hi,

It depends on the type of the exchanger and the elevation on which it has been installed. The liquid level below around 8 m (as per API 521) from the fire base would be considered for wetted area calculation and the liquid level inside the shell would be estimated based on the relevant specific operating conditions and the type of the exchanger...

#3 oscarsender

oscarsender

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

It depends on which side of heat exchanger the PSV is protecting. For shell side, the total actual surface area of the shell. For tube side, only the exposed area which is the summation of surface area of rear head and stationary head. But if it is possible to transfer heat from shell side to tube side fluid under relieving conditions, the heat flux from shell side to tube side will occur if the bubble point of the tube side fluid at tube side design pressure is less than the bubble point of the shell side fluid at accumulated relieving pressure.This is assuming the entire heat exchanger is below 8 meters.

Edited by oscarsender, 19 July 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:31 AM

Hi,

In my first post I did suppose the matter limited to only shell side protection. Anyway:

The links inside attached word file from this site will certainly clear the unknown matters of "Fire case PSV Sizing for Exchangers" either shell or tube side for you...

Attached Files

Edited by fallah, 20 July 2014 - 03:40 AM.