Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Psv Protection For Check Valve Leakage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 krishnamurthy

krishnamurthy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:16 AM

In my project i have PSV on the booster compressor suction srubber inlet header line.  PSV scenario is check valve leakage.  I just want to know how to size the psv for the check valve leakage?  how to calculate the required relieving rate when the check valve leakage occurs.  From HP separator gas comes to the booster compressor suction scrubber. like wise from LP separator gas comes to the booster compressor suction scrubber.  These two lines joins on the suction header line.  On the suction header line i have psv which i need to size it for the check valve leakage scenario.

PLz explain.

Attached File  Compressor Suction Scrubber PFD.pdf   92.39KB   21 downloads

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

Hi,

As per API521 check valve leakage could be a credible scenario and the relevant relief load can be calculated. Please upload a simple sketch of the system to get a proper response...

#3 kjensen

kjensen

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Hi,

the only "clear" guidline AP521 gives on this is in section 4.3.4.4, where two check valves in series can be modeled as a single orifice of 1/10th of the nominal check valve diameter (normally ~piping ID).

If two check valves are not positioned in series, I assume one needs to model the pressure source together with the relevant piping sections with necessary restrictions (K values) to see how the piping and equipment hydraulic resistance is (i.e. valves, pipe-bends, etc) behaves.

Best Regards,

Kristian Holm Jensen

#4 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

Please tell us WHAT TYPE of compressor(s) you are dealing with.  Is it a centrifugal?