Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Direct Contact Cooler Design

heat exchange direct contact cooler carbon capture ccs dcc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 oranJADE92

oranJADE92

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Hi, 

I am looking for some help with starting the calculation the size of a direct contact cooler as part of a retrofitted post-combustion carbon capture plant. Im considering using a spray jet..

I have attached a diagram including all the streams in and out.

Any push in the right direction would be great. Im struggling to find background reading.

Regards

Attached Files

#2 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

I think that such DCC has a packing bed in it and is sized like any other packed bed based on required UA and max allowable pressure drop.

#3 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

Hi, 

I am looking for some help with starting the calculation the size of a direct contact cooler as part of a retrofitted post-combustion carbon capture plant. Im considering using a spray jet..

I have attached a diagram including all the streams in and out.

Any push in the right direction would be great. Im struggling to find background reading.

Regards

Hello,

You can search with direct contact heat exchange and you can find ways to estimate overall volumetric heat transfer coefficient. The approach is,

1. Estimation of LMTD based on terminal temperature of gas & liquid in/out (deg C)

2. Select type of tray or packing (random, structured or grid and get the details such as specific surface area, % voidage, packing size etc.

3. Estimate gas and liquid side and then overall volumetric heat transfer coefficient (Kcal/h-m3-C). There are various correlations available if you have access to it. Few of those are free to download at Ind Chem Eng. website and FRI.

Once you know the duty, overall U and LMTD, you can estimate the packing volume required. You can estimate diameter (based on hydraulics) which will give you cross-sectional area; according packed bed Height can be estimated i.e. volume of packed bed divided by column or vessel cross-section area.

You can refer book by Ralf J Striggle for Random and Structured packing applications and design for further understanding of concepts involved.