Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Selecting Of Steam Turbine Inlet Condition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 funnymoon

funnymoon

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Hello..

I'm power system engineer. 

First of Heat balance calculation, I have experience setting initial condition of steam turbine without any reference.

In case of waste to energy, steam rate is just 30~80 ton/hr because of low NCV considering boiler size.

As you know, inlet pressure and temperature maximizing, system efficiency maximizing. And every owner prefer to high system efficiency because of low fuel consumption. 

Is there any method to set the upper limit of inlet pressure and temperature without any reference during proposal stage?

If there's no method, This will be my last question as power engineer... 

#2 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

Inlet temperature and inlet pressure selection is an economic choice.

The higher the better for the efficiency, but the more expensive the boiler and turbine.

Clients always say they want maximum efficiency, but at the end of the day the cost of the system is usually more important.

I don't know what you mean with "set the upper limit ... during proposal phase". Do you work for a client, or for a boiler vendor?

In the latter case your company should know, based on its experience, above what P and T the system becomes too expensive and less economical.

If I had to guess, I would think that roughly 520 - 540 oC at 110 - 130 barg is the economical upper limit.