Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Thermal Relief Valve On The Propylene Transfer Pipelines

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 tsrc8204

tsrc8204

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

Dear Experts,

On the liquid propylene conveying (long distance 30km), our engineering consult asks to install some thermal relief valves on the some points to prevent the damage in the pipeline. But, this long pipeline will be constructed on the ground so I think that temperature changing may ignore in this case. Please all experts provide you engineering experiences sharing and suggestions to me.

Regards,
Tsrc8204.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

The pipeline will likely be underground. Depending on your location, local codes may require isolation valves at specified intervals. If this is the case, thermal relief valves would be prudent for the blocked-in sections. If, on the other hand, you don't require intermediate isolation valves, or only one, then you can provide relief valves at each end where the discharge can be safely disposed. First check any code requirements or regualations. And ask your consultant about similar installations to support his recommendations. I recall long lines in propylene service here in Texas along the Gulf Coast with relief only at both ends, nothing in between. But codes did not require isolation valves at specific intervals. Your scraper launchers and recievers on each end will require PSV to prevent overpressure due to fire.

Bobby