Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Drain Tank Overflow

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Ibnu84

Ibnu84

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

Hi All,

This is my first time working in windfarm project. On the windfarm platform, there is only one tank which is the Drain Tank. The tank is designed to collect any oil or oily water from the platform. The main source of oil is Transformer Oil.

Oil collected in the tank will be sent to a supply vessel that comes during regular maintenance.

Unfortunatelly,rainwater that may contains oil also routed to this tank. My question is, where this excess water will go. Platform is unmanned. I am thinking to give an overflow for overboard discharge, however not sure whether this is allowed or not. Maximum oil content if water discharged overboard is 15 ppm.

Please advise

Thanks
Ibnu

Edited by Ibnu84, 29 August 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#2 Dazzler

Dazzler

Gold Member

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Perhaps a little more information will be helpful to us. Is this wind farm on an oil&gas processing platform?  If so there may be other water treatment processes on board for removing crude oil and hydrocarbon condensate, however the crude oil or condensate perhaps should not be contaminated with transformer oil?

Aside from possible treatment of the oil, if the catchment area for the transformer oil can be minimised and also rain or sea water splash kept out then that may make the situation easier.

Dazzler

#3 Ibnu84

Ibnu84

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:42 PM

Dazzler,

This is windafrm platform NOT an oil&gas. There is no condensate and crude oil. Only transformer oil, lube oil and diesel are utilized on the platform.

Transformers are kept in an enclosed room,however on the top deck there is a drip pan for catching diesel spill from a diesel pump. We need to see also the drip pan location for EDG wheter it is exposed to rain water or not.

As I said, no oil treatment are available. Only drain tank we have. Collected oil will be sent to supply boat comes regularly on 3 months.

Ibnu

#4 katmar

katmar

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:53 AM

You could use something like that discussed in http://www.cheresour...-overflow-line/

But I don't know whether this would meet your 15 ppm criterion.