Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Returning To University For Chem E Degree And Need Advice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Laniakea

Laniakea

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

Hi all,

So I've decided to go back to school to study Chemical Engineering.

Is there any advice you'd like to give me about preparing myself for the curriculum?

Just a little background:

I have some college under my belt but never got my degree. The highest level of math I have completed is Intermediate Algebra(two years ago, pre-req for pre-calculus).

My science background is pretty much minimal at this point. The last science course I took was Biology at the college level six years ago, although I do like to read about science frequently on my own time, so in that regard I am not a complete noob.

What should I be studying in preparation for classes? I have AT LEAST a year to make something happen in regards to developing good study habits and absorbing knowledge.

I'd like to go to school and work at the same time.

Lastly, I feel my weakest link is math. Thanks! 

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

If you are weak in math, you might reconsider your choice of Chemical Engineering.

Bobby

#3 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:09 AM

Why ChE?

#4 Laniakea

Laniakea

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:02 PM

Why ChE?

I want to make a contribution to society and chemical engineering seems the most interesting to me out of all the engineering disciplines. I'd possibly like to work with nanotechnology or something related to genetics.

Edited by Laniakea, 20 September 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#5 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:11 PM   Best Answer

If you have serious intentions of entering a Chemical Engineering curriculum at a recognized university and competing with existing, competitive chemical engineering students, then I highly recommend you prepare yourself for a rough ride through very trying and taxing courses in direct competition with other ambitious students.  You will be expected to enter immediately into such courses as Heat & Mass balances including stoichiometry problems - requiring a thorough background in basic Physics and Chemistry.  You will also enter General Chemistry courses followed by Physical Chemistry and Organic Chemistry.  In order to pass these courses, especially Physics and Physical chemistry you will need differential and integral calculus (which require the pre-requisites of analytical geometry, Trig, and advanced algebra).

Once you enter the school of Chemical engineering to concentrate on specific ChE courses you will be expected to handle differential and integral calculus, as well as having some background in computer programming (to help you in understanding simulation and computer programs).  I thoroughly endorse Bobby Strain’s comment: if you can’t handle the math, it is much better to consider a different career.

The ChE courses will cover both Unit and Process Operations - one without chemical reactions and the other with chemical reactions.  To take the latter, you must have taken Kinetics and Thermodynamics (you will most likely have to confront thermodynamics in Physics, Chemistry, and just about every ChE course, except for Instrumentation).

It sounds like you majored in the liberal arts in your university preparation.  That is great to my way of thinking (I double-majored in ChE and English), but you are going to have to change your intensity and work load to a very rigorous, demanding, and competitive study routine that is ChE.  From what you describe, I would estimate it will take you two years to condition, and prepare yourself into the competitive pool of aspirants that is the ChE curriculum.  I would concentrate on:  Math, Physics, Chemistry, Thermodynamics in that order.

Good luck with your final decision.

#6 Laniakea

Laniakea

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

Hi Art,

First of all, thank you for the thoughtful reply. You are correct in your assumption about my past college history. I jumped around between several liberal arts majors(philosophy, history, english) and even some science ones(biochem and compsci). Now I'm a registered EMT. Alas, EMS is not really what I envision doing 20 years from now. The STEM fields have always interested me and I think there is no greater or more noble purpose than to pursue these fields and progress society.

In terms of my math skills, I do believe I have the potential... when I apply myself. I was a horrible student in high school and for most of my college career; however, when I'm on... I'm *really* on. I think I've matured enough to get down to business and put in the work required for this very challenging degree and know it will be exponentially harder than anything I've done before. I think the first thing I'm going to do is outline and experiment with study routines before I get down to the really fun stuff. Thanks again!