Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Refrigerant Compresser

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SadiqChemy

SadiqChemy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

Hello

I have question regarding the refrigerant compressor ( which is part of refrigeration cycle ) .. if we use refrigerant to cool process gas stream for example to -30 oF .. What will happen to gas temperature if we reduce the power or the efficiency of the compressor? Is there a direct mathematical relationship ? 

I hope you help me

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

What gas temperature are you referring to?  --- the refrigerant’s or the process gas?

Your query is odd.  When you apply a refrigeration process (I must assume you mean a mechanical vapor compression system, since you don’t tell us), you don’t have the ability to vary or manipulate (reduce) the power or the efficiency of the compressor.

Perhaps you mean to state something else.

#3 SadiqChemy

SadiqChemy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

I mean process gas ..

The refrigerant compressor is driven by gas turbine and if the efficiency of gas turbine reduced , the power of refrigerant compressor is reduced also , right ?

#4 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

How do you intend to reduce the efficiency of the gas turbine driver?   Or is yours an academic question?

#5 SadiqChemy

SadiqChemy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:24 PM

Because gas turbine efficiency is effected by the ambient temperature . Increasing ambient temperature  will reduce the thermal efficiency of gas turbine which will reduce the power produced to refrigerant compressor I guess ??

#6 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:52 PM

I'm like Art. I don't understand your query. Turbine drives are typically designed so that they can provide the required power at higher ambient temperature. If the driver doesn't deliver power at the required speed, then the turbine/compressor speed is reduced. This is OK for most mechanical drive turbines, but larger single shaft machines, frame 7 and larger, will stall when the speed drops below 95% of the design speed. And I think your query is academic, indeed. You need to get a book that describes turbine operation. After you study a bit, return and ask your question.

Bobby

#7 SadiqChemy

SadiqChemy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:13 AM

It is an industrial issue especially in the very hot countries like Middle East , they found that the propane recovery in the natural gas processing is affected by the ambient temperature because the feed gas is not cold enough before entering the absorber !

#8 SadiqChemy

SadiqChemy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

I cannot find the exact connection actually