Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Criteria For Electric Heater

electric heater

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 shekhar dhuri

shekhar dhuri

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:21 AM

Hi,

In our project, I have to decide requirement of Electric Heater in the Flare KO Drums and Closed drain drum. The viscosity range of fluds inside these vessels is from 1 cP - 5 cP (centipoise).

My understanding is we should be able to get the pump who can handle the this viscosity range and electric heater may not be required. Pump flow rate is 10 m3/h and differntial pressure is 8-10 bar. Density range is 700-900 kg/m3.

However, I seek suggestion from experts on this forum. Is this information available in any of the pump standards ?

Regards,
Shekhar

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:38 AM

Shekhar:

I don’t understand your need for an electric heater in the Flare KO Drum since you don’t cite any serious, low temperature of the pumped liquid.  I don’t see any problem with your liquid’s viscosity.  Perhaps your concerns are with its vapor pressure?  A heater would only lessen the viscosity – and possibly vaporize some liquid.

For this type of application, I have had success with turbine regenerative pumps.  Refer to the attached document that describes this type of pump – in case you are unfamiliar with it.  This is what I would recommend, but I would also advise you to carefully check with and consult with the pump fabricator on the application.

There are no pump standards, to my knowledge, that would make the pump selection for you.

Attached File  Regenerative Turbine Principles.docx   549.99KB   12 downloads