Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Compressor Efficiency

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SadiqChemy

SadiqChemy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:37 AM

How can I calculate the polytrophic and isentropic efficiency of compressor If I only know the suction condition and the pressure ratio .

The compressor type is axial flow .

#2 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:19 AM

With only that you can't.

You need not only suction temperature but also discharge temperature, and gas composition to calculate back what efficiency is.

Efficiency is a property of the compressor, so if you have vendor data for this particular compressor you should be able to find the efficiency in there.

Why do you need to have the efficiency?

#3 SadiqChemy

SadiqChemy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:20 PM

I want to calculate the actual discharge temperature

#4 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

For that you need to have the efficiency.

You can not calculate both the discharge temperature and the efficiency, one of the two has to be known to calculate the other.

Is this an existing compressor? If so, why can't you simply measure the discharge temperature?

If not existing, then what is the objective of any calculation?

If you have the volumetric suction capacity (at P1 and T1) of the compressor, it may be possible to do an educated guess about its efficiency.

#5 SadiqChemy

SadiqChemy

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:58 PM

Yes it is an existing compressor and it is part of the gas turbine cycle .I want to study the effect of the ambient temperature on gas turbine performance. The isentropic efficiency is unknown .Hence, I cannot determine the actual discharge temperature at different ambient temperature ( suction temperature ).

#6 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

If you know the vendor and type of the GT you could calculate them back from the specific fuel consumption and the outlet temperature of the GT.

Or you could ask the GT vendor about the compressor and turbine efficiencies.

I expect both to be in the range of 80 to 90 %, depending on the size of the GT, so I would say: in the absence of better data simply assume 85 %.

To determine the impact of ambient temperature on GT performance it does not matter much what the exact efficiency is that you assume.

Edited by PingPong, 03 October 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#7 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:30 AM

How can I calculate the polytrophic and isentropic efficiency of compressor If I only know the suction condition and the pressure ratio .

The compressor type is axial flow .

Hi,

From your post it seems that this is an existing system, I will suggest you to check the vendor curves and impose your current operating conditions to know the efficiency. Otherwise you can always refer to fluid mechanics handbook to understand compressor theory.