Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Amine Reboiler Temperature Decrease

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 CMEngineer

CMEngineer

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hi,

I have just been working on a simluation where I have seen the temperature decrease across a reboiler even though the liquid feed is being partially vaporized. So there is both sensible heat and latent heat involved, but the temperature in the reboiler outlet is cooler. The column is an Amine regenerator. The DP across the reboiler is 2psi. Has anyone ever encountered a temperature decrease across a reboiler and if so why is this happening?

I hope you can help.

Many thanks,

CM

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

You might want to indicate what the simulator is.

Bobby

#3 RockDock

RockDock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:44 AM

Temperature is more a function of pressure in an amine regenerator, as most of the heat is consumed in the heat of vaporization of the water. You are right that you should not see a temperature decrease at a constant pressure. However, I would expect you find a relatively constant temperature if you change your dP to 0.

I'm a little curious to know the simulator you used too, as the industry standard for sweetening is ProMax and they recommend to roll any dP of the condenser and reboiler into the the total dP of the absorber. That would avoid this situation altogether.

#4 Vinayak Chavan

Vinayak Chavan

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

Try with below point

1. Remove Reboiler Pressure drop.

2. Give overall Pressure drop across the column instead of specifying Per tray pressure drop.

3. Please check Feed/bottom Exchanger specification. (HICO approach).

#5 CMEngineer

CMEngineer

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for your replies. I am using Unisim to simulate this although we do usually use PROMAX for amine systems. I am just wondering why it is doing this in Unisim....I'll try taking away the reboiler DP.