Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Head

pressure pressure measurement

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 nameless

nameless

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:22 AM

Dear All,

What exactly is head and what is it's significance in pressure measurement?

According to wiki, head is a concept that relates the energy in an in compressible fluid to the height of an equivalent static column of that fluid.Does that mean we are relating the total energy of a moving fluid to the energy(potential)of a fluid at rest?The moving fluid possess potential energy as well so why are we relating it to energy of a fluid at rest.I suppose potential energy is the only type of energy possessed by a fluid at rest.Sorry If the question sounds nebulous.I just don't get the intuition behind it

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 04:38 AM

http://www.cheresour...echanics-books/

Nameless,

Consider reading this post and check for the reference I posted .

Good luck,

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 08 November 2014 - 04:50 AM.

#3 nameless

nameless

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Breizh!

Can you elucidate to me what is the difference between potential energy and pressure energy of a fluid?

From what I understand,potential energy is the energy which a body possess due to its position against gravity,therefore the energy should be equal to gravitational force.

Pressure energy is the energy exerted by a body due to its weight,which is again due to gravitational force.

Therefore,aren't pressure energy and potential energy one and the same?

Edited by nameless, 08 November 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#4 katmar

katmar

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 663 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

The pressure at the base of a column of liquid is given by the well-known equation

Pressure = ρ.g.h

ρ = fluid density

g = acceleration of gravity

h = height of liquid column (= head)

This makes it possible to use pressure and head interchangeably if we know the liquid density and the acceleration of gravity.  It is much easier to visualize a head of 10 metre of water column than it is to visualize a pressure of 100 kPa and this makes head a comfortable concept to use.  Also, chemical processes use mainly centrifugal pumps which deliver the same head for any liquid (within reason) when measured in terms of the pumped liquid. I think these are the 2 main factors that make head a popular choice in place of pressure.