Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Steam Heater For Non-Continuous Use

steam heater

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 August

August

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:12 AM

The client requires a steam heater(a plate HX) for non continuous use. When production needs, the steam is on and the process fluid is on. When it is not needed, the steam and process fluid are turned off. 

I don't have much experience on this kind of on/off process. I am really doubting, if a steam heated plate heat exchanger can be used in this way. If yes, are there any special design requirements? And how long it takes to heat up process fluid to the target temperature (or how to calculate how long it takes)

Thanks. 

#2 RickeyD09

RickeyD09

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

There shouldn't be an issue with this application. It appears that this is being used in some type of batch process. My recommendation would be to make sure and design a way to "clean out" the heat exchanger after each use if it is going to sit for any length of time. (Purge steam side back to a boiler return, and the process fluid to the holding vessel. With compressed air or Nitrogen depending on your process.) Not sure what type of material you're dealing with but always design the heat exchanger to be compatible with process fluids.

Normal heat transfer calculations would apply here assuming you don't have to wait for a boiler to heat up or anything of that nature. Once the steam moves through the exchanger and reaches pressure you desire. It all depends on flow rates of steam and process fluid.

Hope that helps.