Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Orifice - Choked Flow

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sanganipratik

sanganipratik

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hi friends,

Case: I have a gas swivel seal leak line of 3/4" which is connected to the LP flare header and the pipe line is fitted with an orifce and downstream to orifice is a flowmeter.

Under normal operation there shouldnt be any leaks and if there is it should be very minor @acceptable range.

If the seal fails, then the line see a an upstream gas pressure of 170 barg, which is the gas swivel operating pressure. An orfice is selected, inorder to safe guard the downstream LP header which operates at 1.5 barg.

Now the question is the significance of the choke flow/ crtical pressue. As obviously i see that under leakage condition the orifice sees a choked flow @ 97 barg critical pressure. So should I design my downstream piping and the flowmeter for pressure of 97 barg or 1.5 barg.

Your suggestion is appreciated.

Pratik

#2 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:17 PM

1.5 barg because downstream piping back pressure is not determined by the orifice critical pressure.

#3 sanganipratik

sanganipratik

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 03:53 AM

Can you pls elaborate, as if i specify my operating conditions of the downstream fitings & instruments as 1.5 barg, what haapens when the choked flow/critical pressure is reached at the orifice?

#4 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

The orifice outlet pressure is determined by the backpressure of downstream system not critical pressure.  Please think about filling air into your car flat tires.  The pressure out of air nozzle is determined by the tire pressure (backpressure of downstream system) not the air compressor pressure.  Your critical pressure may be reached only in the case of blocked outlet.     

#5 sanganipratik

sanganipratik

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:47 AM

Thanks Shan.

So under these conditions, how can I calculate Choke Flow ? I know the critical pressure and the dia of the orifice which i calculated using normal/operating flowrate..

#6 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:22 AM

If the nozzle outlet backpressure is lower than the critical pressure, flow through the nozzle will be constant choke flow and will not impacted by the backpressure.