Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Vertical / Horizontal Separators (Vortex Breakers)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Rmyer13

Rmyer13

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 01:19 PM

Good Afternoon,

I have some questions in regards to vortex breakers to prevent vortexing when the vessel is dumping; when it is requirement to install them into a Vertical / Horizontal process vessels? Is it a function of L/D, retention time, inlet velocity, inlet pressure and / or the diameter of the inlet and the dump connections on the bottom of the vessel? Do we have to consider this when we are sizing the vessel? I was able to find any lecture, calculations and or design criteria in my searcher. I was wondering someone could shed / or provide some clarification on this manner would be appreciated!

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 04:34 PM

Always use a vortex breaker. They cost almost nothing.

Bobby

#3 Rmyer13

Rmyer13

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:53 AM

Thank you Bobby,

I have been getting allot of recommendations as when it is required and not. Here is couple explanations of when vortex breaker should be applied;

“When the process liquid out nozzle or nozzles (greater than 2") is at bottom of vessel on a horizontal vessel, you are required to install one. When the process liquid out nozzle is a siphon tube design on a horizontal vessel you do not have that requirement.

On a vertical vessel, when process liquid out greater than 2" exiting thru the bottom head than you are required to install one. If it is exiting thru the shell then one is not required.

Note this does not apply to bottom drains, and then it is customary to use a small orifice as a safeguard to limit drain volume and velocity on higher pressure vessels.

It can be a bit confusing when using a bucket in a vertical vessel where the nozzle exists thru the bottom of the bucket and then turns and exists thru the shell. In that case I have never seen a vortex breaker installed.”

“Vortex Breakers are not required, only if the client request them to be installed. But it is not a requirement and it is not necessary.”

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:32 PM

I shall repeat my recommended practice. Always install a vortex breaker on liquid outlet nozzles with continuous flow. Not required on drains. I don't know what authority you are quoting. You might consider the authority experience and knowledge base.

Bobby

#5 Rmyer13

Rmyer13

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:42 PM

Thank you for all your time!

Rob

#6 ahmadikh

ahmadikh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:10 AM

Rmyer13,

Vortex breakers are a must on liquid outlet lines to the pump suction. As Bobby said they cost nothing and there is no cost issue with them. 

I think a vortex breaker may not be required on a liquid outlet from reboiler draw-off sump in the bottom section of a column for which you may have pressure drop limitation. The normal liquid level in the sump is determined by the static head required to overcome the total pressure drop and as such you need to minimize your pressure drop. However, this may not be general and depending upon how low your minimum liquid level (LLLL or LLL) is set up, you may use vortex breaker since the pressure drop is somewhat negligible.

Best,

Milad

#7 Rmyer13

Rmyer13

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:26 PM

Thank you Milad!