Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Diesel Fuel Properties

dieselfuel density viscocity composition

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Hasam ullah

Hasam ullah

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:14 PM

Hi everyone

Can anyone help me about the chemical composition of diesel. i have to design a heat exchanger. i need density, viscosity and other properties of diesel  at 100 0c and 176 0c. I did't find these properties for diesel directly. so I have to calculate the properties from diesel chemical composition.Any help please. I will highly appreciate your help.

Edited by Hasam ullah, 18 December 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#2 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

See the attachment

Attached Files

#3 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:39 AM   Best Answer

Please  refer to ASTM D 975  for specifications of Diesel fuels.

Grade

Kinematic Viscosity,                      1DC     2DC.D   1DE       2DD,E   4DE

mm2/S at 40°C D 445         min.    1.3       1.9       1.3       1.9       5.5

max . 2.4     4.1      2.4      4.1     24.0

Kin Viscosity at 176 deg C has no specification. It differs from refinery to refinery. But if you are having density at 15 deg C and Kin Viscosity at 40 deg C, I can calculate at 176 deg C and give you

Density has no specification. But it will be in the range of 0.84 to 0.88 depending upon the type of hydrocarbons present in it and boiling range.

Diesel is composed of hydrocarbons of paraffinic, aromatic, naphthenic and olefinic having carbon atoms about 10 to 25 depending upon the boiling range 140 to 360 deg C  The chemical composition varies from refinery to refinery.

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:54 AM

If you have access to any of process simulators (Aspen, Pro/II etc.) you might build an assay for your diesel stream by using known properties at whatever reference temperature you have them, and let the software calculate properties at any other temperature.

Perhaps Maxwell's (Databook of Hydrocarbons) or Nelson's (Petroleum Refinery Engineering) books could help you as well.

#5 JMW

JMW

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:10 AM

Another source of data is ISO 8217 (a google will bring you a number sites who have the details listed).

Like most standards they refer to the data at reference conditions. You need the data at specific conditions so you may find the spreadsheets in Cheresources useful: http://www.cheresour...wnloads&mid=987. In the file library you will also find some spreadsheets for heat exchanger sizing and so forth.

However, it is strongly recommended that you first of all become familiar with the underlying calculations and their history.

You should read for example, the Manual of Petroleum Measurement Standards and research the ASTM D341 calculations.

Spreadsheets are useful tools but are no substitute for first of all understanding the nature of the property you are interested in. Without this you will have no idea if the answers you get are to be relied upon or treated as a random number generator. Most calculations have some sort of limits to their applicability.

ASTM D341 is a log.log relationship. Such calculations need to be used with care.

Incidentally, why would you be heating diesel to 176C?

Unless what you refer to as Diesel is in fact something more viscous.