Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Mazut Loading/unloading Pump

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Samin

Samin

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

Dears,

Which type of pumps are best suited for mazut loading and unloading in tank farms?

Mazut is highly viscose fluid.  Typically, gear pumps were used for this purpose but I have seen screw pumps also used for this as well.

Would you please consult which type of positive displacement pump is the best selection?

Maximum loading rate is 600 m3/hr (six loading arm each loading rate is 100 m3/hr for tank loading. )

Regards,

Samin

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:48 PM

Samin:

I've pumped a lot of Fuel Oil #6 - which is pretty viscous and a tough liquid to pump.  I've done this with gear pumps.  I've never pumped Russian heavy fuel oil - mazut - and I understand it is worse than #6.

I've also never pumped at the rates you are describing.  Therefore, I would not consider a gear pump as being a wise choice for such high flow rates.  A screw design seems as the more rational and logical one.  I would resort to proven mazut screw pump manufacturers and insist on a visit or two to established and operating pumping operations using these pumps - BEFORE committing to a purchase.

See the attached photos of a typical mazut screw pump installation.

Attached File  Mazut Screw Pump Installation.docx   448.4KB   27 downloads

#3 Samin

Samin

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:03 AM

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kind and quick response.

may be i am going to arrange (2+1) arrangement for pumps, 2 working pump and 1 stand by. so the pumping flow rate would be half of this flow means 300 m3/hr.

the viscosity of mentioned heavy fuel oil @ 100 °C is 72 cst.

i have searched in web and found screw pumps manufacturer catalogues for mazut loading arms but what was typical in our experience was gear pumps so i was not sure about the right type of pump selection.

what i have concluded from yours kind consultancy is to ask from manufactures for final screw proposal.

thanks and regards,

Samin 

#4 process-man

process-man

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 06:44 AM

dear Art

As you are highly experienced in heavy FO handling, we intend to desulphurize mazut 380 which contains 5 % wt. sulphur (to less than 1000 ppm). What method and supplier do you recommend?

#5 Edward_K

Edward_K

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

Hello, we have references on Ventbunkers in Latvia for railcar unloading system, 12 off vane pumps (with internal coating) for Russian Mazout pumping (supply Year 2003).

Edited by Edward_K, 14 January 2015 - 01:01 AM.

#6 Araboni

Araboni

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:50 AM

Also we intend to desulfurize Mazut with viscusity of 380 cS (at 38 Deg C). Any method??

Edited by Araboni, 31 January 2015 - 01:51 AM.